Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
MRI Reading

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

MRI Reading

My 15 year old son has developmental co-ordination disorder, auditory processing skills difficulties and dyslexia. Social challenges would be most difficult. His was a traumatic birth and it was suggested these difficulties were caused at birth, which ended in an emergency c-section, and even then he went into breach during delivery. He was a healthy baby never crawled and learning difficulties became apparent from an early age, but diagnosis was not made until he was 10.  
It was recommended I have an MRI to see if there was any sign of Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy, or other signs to show difficulty at birth.
The findings and conclusion of the MRI are as follows, can you please tell me what they mean and could they have been caused during birth trauma (i.e. 20 minutes taking a blood sample from babies head etc.). What does 'these appear chronic in nature' mean exactly.  
Findings:  appropriate myelination pattern and preservation of white matter volume. The deep grey matter structures are normal. There is no evidence of previous haemorrhage or periventricular leukomalacia. Non-specific scattered T2 hyperintensities in the white matter of both frontal lobes. Two additional lesions are noted in the periventriculuar white matter of the parietal region. There are no infratentorial lesions. There is no involvement of the corpus callosum or sub-cortical fibres.
Conclusion: No evidence of previous haemorrhage, periventricular leukomalacia or prior global hypoxia. T2 hyperintensities in the supratentorial white matter. These appear chronic in nature. This is a non specific finding and may represent previous ischaemia, demyelination, migraine, infection or vasculitis.
A second important question would be are there treatments or what would be useful.
Thank you, I await your response.
Kind regards,
CROI
Dear Friend,
Well once the word "Chronic" is written in the report, it means that the changes are present since long time.
So we can attribute these changes to a significant past. It appears to be related to birth (However, 100% involvement can't be conclusive).
As far as your second question is concerned, about the treatment, it's only related to proper physiotherapy.
We really can't reverse back the changes, but can definitely slow down the speed of the future changes. Physiotherapy will help us in achieving our target. Beside this, we really can't do anything else.
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards
Thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it. Can you explain what the following mean:
'Non-specific scattered T2 hyperintensities in the white matter of both frontal lobes. Two additional lesions are noted in the periventriculuar white matter of the parietal region.'
Is it possible to know from this what areas, i.e. motor skills, memory etc. are affected, or generally affected.  What is the long-term prognosis, as in, once these are present, will they be more likely to deteriorate as time goes by (in later life might it mean being more susceptible to MS or Dementia etc.)
Thank you for your help, I am very grateful.
Croi