Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Median Never Compression

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Median Never Compression

I am 16years old and have been suffering from a ligament injury in my right wrist since November 2004. The injury has also now transformed into a mild Median Never Compression (as the EMG result in july 2008 showed).
What is the possible treatment for it?
Dear Akber,
If your EMG/NCV shown a mild median nerve compression, it means you are having "Carpel Tunnel Syndrome". However the treatment will depend on how bad are your symptoms.
If you get persistent numbness,paresthesia over your fingers then we need to plan out a treatment plan.However if the same symptoms are occasionally experienced, then our plan will be wait and watch.
The treatment plan for persistent symptoms is as follows -
1) Steriod injection into the carpal tunnel region.
2) If steriod injection fails to give relief than surgery needed to release the carpal tunnel.
These are the best possible treatment available.
Feel free to discuss more.
Regards.
Well the pain is aggravated whenever the hand comes under stress for example, during exams and studying and any other heavy object lifting etc. These days, it is very cold here in Islamabad and i have a feeling that the weather might be having an adverse affect on the condition too.
Other than this, recently i have started to experience that very often (about 6-7 times a day) the affected hand gets colder than the left right.
Would the steriod injection and surgery not have powerful side effects? And is it not advisable to not go for such treatments at my age?
Dear Akber,
Steriod or surgery, in this case is not age dependent,rather is sign/symptoms dependent.
Would suggest you to meet a good orthopaedician for a proper examination, to plan a treatment protocol.
Regards
Thank you very much for your help.