Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Migraine/head issue...concerned

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Migraine/head issue...concerned

It seems that once a month or every  two months I have had a headache on the left side of my head. Not debilitating, it feels like pressure, some pain, sometimes my ear hurts(have been looked at by ENT) and my arm and leg on that side sometimes feel strange. Not numb, just strange. I have Hashimoto's and fibromyalgia. I became worried today because when I lifted something heavy the migraine pain felt worse but has subsided. If I have the migraine one day in the month it might get better then hurt the next day and eventually go away all together for several weeks. I had an MRI and ct scan three years ago in relation to issues wi fibromyalgia. The only head issue since then is I had a concussion one year ago in that same area where I get the pain. I was hit with a full water bottle that was thrown on a soccer field. I just worry, is this possibly an aneurysm, would that pain come and go? I keep going to Doctors for other stuff and am trying not to be so worried all the time. A few time in the past three months I have woken with an ice pick headache that last 5 to 10 seconds, sometimes feels like it is coming up my neck. Never during he day and only three bigs in the past 6 months.

Hi!
Yes, headaches can be a real pain!! Any recurring headache should definitely be investigated. In your case, the following possibilities should be looked into:

1) Fibromyalgia flare
2) Spinal nerve compression on the left side, involving probably the upper cervical (C2-C4).
3) High blood pressure
4) TMJ
5) Dental caries
6) Tension headache

You could change your sleep posture and see if it helps. Use a hard bed with comfortable mattress, avoid pillows, roll a towel and place it under the neck, and do neck and upper back exercises. If you still feel the pain, then you may need EMG, NCV, and MRI of the neck to look for nerve compression.

Get your blood pressure checked. See if opening your mouth wide or chewing food aggravates the pain. If yes, then TMJ should be looked into. Also schedule a dental examination. Dental pain can come once in a while, and may be related to either hot or clod food or to sweet food. If all this is ruled out then it could be fibromyalgia flare or tension headache. Keep a headache log and see whether you are particularly stressed out on days prior to headache.

Also, if symptoms come only at night, then it can also be due to some sleep disturbance. Discuss these possibilities with your doctor. Hope you are headache-free soon! Good Luck and take care!
Thank you so much! Another thing I forgot to mention and wondered if you could weigh in on. I can pay again if necessary:) I am in 40 and in 1973 I had an encephalocele repair done at 12  hours old. All went well. In 2010 a neurologist I saw, due to headaches and brisk reflexes, wanted me to have an MRI.I let her know that I had two clips in my head from the surgery. She said that she would have a radiologist look at my cat scan from years past...like from 1996, and determine if I could have the MRI. The radiologist said it was safe I have been second guessing that since I keep getting these headaches. I am not sure how the radiologist could determine what kind of clips they were if there is no report, it has been so long. If the MRI caused and issue would I have symptoms so late in the game? Thank you for any info, I have been terrified.
If you have metallic clips then MRI may not be safe and may not give correct picture. Please discuss with your neurologist. You may have some brain related issue as the cause of headache.