Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Need help please - What exactly is "AICA against the nerve complex...

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Need help please - What exactly is "AICA against the nerve complex", and how is this medically treated?

To whom it may concern,

Can someone please tell me what exactly is "AICA against the nerve complex" is, and how this is medically treated?  How serious is this? These are the note(s) on my 3 recent MRI scans.  I have been suffering for months.  I have not yet got the details on what this is other than what I have Googled.  Can a qualified professional please elaborate on this, and how this will be medically treated?  Thank you.

Dave G.
Dear Dave G,

Thanks for the query.

AICA is the short form for Anterior Inferior Cerebellar artery. It is an artery in the brain. It can compress on the facial-vestibulocochlear nerve complex and cause symptoms related to these nerves. Most likely this is what your report implies. I would like to know some details about your symptoms and the context in which the scan was done to make the meaning of your report clearer.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shiva Kumar R
I going to work on getting a copy of the report.  Please check back in the near future for more infomation, and responses to your post.  Thank you very much.

Dave G.
Dr. Shiva Kumar R,

Thank you for your patience.  Please review at your convienence.  I am going to first list the MRI scans that were done.  Then I will list the areas of the reports that only showed activity.  Then I will list my story/symptoms.  Thank you for looking at this.  I have copied the MRI notes verbatim.  Please let me know your thoughts.

MRI ANGIO BRAIN
COMMENTS: ALSO LOOK FOR VASCULAR LOOP/ANOMALIES IN THE BRAINSTEM AND IACs

MRI INTERNAL AUDITORY CANAL
COMMENTS: IAC PROTOCOL FOR VESTIULAR; 3T PREFERRED

MRI ANGIO BRAIN
COMMENTS: LOOK FOR UNILATERAL OCCLUSION/STENOSIS OF THE VEINS DRAINING THE POSTERIOR FOSSA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exam: MRI Internal Auditory Canal=S

Findings: MRI

Temporal Bones:
There is abnormal linear enhancement in the left internal auditory canal. The AICA does extend into the left internal auditory canal for some distance.  Otic capsule structures appear unremarkable. No vascular abnormality is identified.  Mastoid signal within normal limits.  No other temporal bone signal abnormality is identified.

Supratentorial Brain:
There areas of FLAIR signal abnormality in the periventricular and subcortical white matter with some radiating linear areas of FLAIR signal abnormality radiating perpendicularly from the periventricular regions. No abnormal enhancement in the visualized brain parenchyma.

IMPRESSIONS:
1. Linear enhancement in the left internal auditory canal, which may is unclear if this represents the AICA/vascular enhancement or if this re presents inflammatory enhancement of the along the vestibular nerve, less likely related to a schwannoma.

2.FLAIR signal abnormality in the periventricular and subcortical white matter with linear radiating areas of FLAIR signal abnormality extending from the periventricular regions. No abnormal enhancing lesions in the brain parenchyma .  Findings are nonspecific, though demyelinating disorders or chronic microvascular disease may have this appearance.  Clinical correlation is recommended.

Dr. Shiva Kumar R .,

I will explain my symptoms, but I have recently discovered I am dealing with two health issues, so I don't know which symptom(s) is related to which health problem.  The other health issue I am having besides the one I have inquired to you about is that it has been recently discovered that I am having a problem with one of my adrenal glands.  More testing is being done currently.  I would like to tell you my story for the last five months, so you can get all of what I have dealth with to help me with everything invlolved with my AICA issue.  Please bare with me, I just want to inform you of all my symptoms.  I will try to be breif.

A little over five months ago, I started to feel chest pains on and off.  They were mild, brief, only happened oocaisonally.  I shrugged them off.  My  BP was typically normal, but at times came in a little higer.  Then five months ago I woke up to my right ear screaming.  This was not ringing, but screaming.  I had significant pain radiating from my ear down my neck, and up into my temple.  This was dibilitating pain and loudness.  I went to the ER immdiately.  BP was 150 over 90.  As time went on I ended up going to the ER six or seven times because of the ear screaming.  At all of these ER visits my BP was high and nobody really said a word about it.    The ear raditating pain had subsided some over time, but the ear screaming did not, although at times it would decrease a little.  Throughout all of this, I would be out of breath, and or energy quickly.  Also, every night I would feel a wave of like pressure go up my neck, and my ear would scream worse.  Sometimes, even with prescribed meds I would get one hour of sleep.  Every night my neck, at one particluar place, would throb like the heart beat of a large animal or something.  Meaning hard and fast.  I dealt with this daily.  About a month and half into this, I started to get numbness in my left hand and arm, and was getting consitant chest pains.  The chest pains became worse, and consistent.  My heart has been checked out with many tests since then and is fine.  What then started to happen is that I would get pains in my neck that would move around rather quickly, and then that pain would be in my back, and then move around my back, and then my sternum, etc.  The pains would move around my body.  Finally, I got on some BP meds, and  it seems because of that, and my bp is lower,  I can say I am not being tortured as I once was.  Life is a little better, but here is what I currently deal with - My ear constantly has a high pitched noise/mild screaming in it.  Not ringing.  Currently,  when I eat certain foods, or just do the slightest bit of activity my ear noise starts increasing, I sometimes get tingling in both of my feet and ankle areas, my chest (heart area) hurts mildly, I get a feeling like a hot spear is stabbing me in the head in one area, and sometimes the back of neck hurts at the bottom of my skull.  This can and does happen all at the same time.  When all of these happpen, I get depleted of energy also.  

I wanted to mention that I do have MS also, but have never experienced anything like this regarding MS

Thank you,
Dave G.