Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Neurology/ Delta Waves/

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Neurology/ Delta Waves/

Will someone with 1hz- 4hz come out of a coma. Was told also of ischemic?(lack of oxygen). Has slight myclonic, but when walk in room and talk to patient, hold hand they do calm down. Vent down to 5, bpm is anywhere from 22 up to 30. Does show signs of awareness ie...when talking to patient has facial twitches, tries to open eyes(opens to small slits). Pupils slow in reacting.Longest eyes open 48min.  Occasionally has coughing spree. Would like to know of any treatments, medicines, to try and get brain more into a beta or alpha state. Do constantly talk to patient.
Patient goes from Beta Waves to Delta Waves. When certain physicians come in he gets spasmadic. Noticed when physicians talking in room abt taking off of vent(mind you was tested and withstood 1hr and 30min off). Went to patient and noticed a tear in corner of eye. To me that shows signs of awareness some where in brain. NEED some kind of information URGENTLY. Any help greatly appreciated.  
Tags: Neurology, Waves, help, brain
Dear OriginalTinkerBell,

Thanks for posting your query.

Severe lack of oxygen to the brain lowers / shuts down brain cell function. This is known as hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.  The occurrence of myoclonic jerks in such cases, usually, but not always indicates more severe insult to the brain. However if someone opens eyes, has eye to eye contact and tearing, it indicates that he is able to either see or hear you. Another reason for the patient breaking down could be underlying depression because of the current medical problem.

Personally, at this point in time I would put him on antidepressants along with Piracetam which can control the myoclonus to some extent. Discuss these drugs with your neurologist. But looking at the overall description that you provide, I feel full recovery is difficult at this point of time.

The recovery/ progress of the condition can be monitored by repeat EEG. Extent of the damage to the brain can sometimes be determined by an MRI of the brain.  Though it would be difficult to perform an MRI when someone is on a ventilator, you may discuss this option with your doctor.

I understand that this is a very difficult time for you. Do talk to a neurologist and make sure that the severity of the brain insult and the chances of recovery are discussed before starting the medications suggested above.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefited from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shiva Kumar R