Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Possible Cure for Optic Nerve Atrophy May be by Transplants

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

i am interested in knowing a possible cure to the optic nerve damage.It has come to our notice that a possible cure to optic nerve atrophy may be possible by way of stem cell or optic nerve replacement etc. PPPPPPPPPPPLEASE  EXPLAIN IN DETAILS
Why is it taking soooooo long for a feasible cure of Optic Nerve atrophy to come out. Had not Dr.**** Feng Chen of Schepens Eye institute performed optic nerve Transplant  as an experiment way back in 2004-5
Please Explain in thorough Details.
Please explain who to contact and at what website
Dear Aashoo,
Optic Nerve is on of the 12 cranial nerves and helps in vision.
Generally the cranial nerves can't be regenerated and hence once lost/damaged, the impact is forever in vision.
But in recent advancement, the scientists are able to regrow the Optic nerve. The studies are still in trials and experiments are still undertaking for this research purpose.
Same is the condition for optic nerve transplantation where the optic nerve from one species is transplanted to the another species. The chances of organ failure/rejection is present, hence only after the Genetic makeup matches, the procedure is performed, though sometimes failure may still happen.
Please explain as why you require these details, so that i can guide you for a better reference, if possible.
Regards
My parent lost eyesight way back in 1984.There was on operation for the removal of a small cyst There was an air thrombus and optic nerve got damaged because of which eyesight got   lost >We have been constantly trying since then for a ray of hope. I keep praying for a decent cure for optic nerve atrophy.Recently i came across this website and also discovered that optic nerve had been regenerated and transplanted in clinical trials successfully in America.
I further request you to tell me Will it be helpful to come to you at  AIIMS or where do i proceed over to so that a successful cure for optic nerve atrophy be found out .I value your opinions.Please give detailed road map and do guide me for a better reference,if possible?
Generally how long does it take for trials to come out of labs and become routine successful procedures?
To: Dr. Abhijit Ghosh
Please reply
Where from can i keep myself up to date  on all the latest developments and practical discoveries taking place in the field of optic nerve
Dear Aashoo,
Well i would suggest you to consult the chief neurosurgeon and Opthalmologist of AIIMS. I will not be able to show my preference of Hospitals in this forum. But since AIIMS is a premier institute in India, it would be a wonderful idea to consult the Head of Departments of these 2 specialities for getting further opinion.
As you have said 1984, it means it's over 25 years of optic nerve damage, so it will require expert physical examination before committing the further treatment.
Regards.

Feel free to discuss more.
What is gene therapy, How is it different from stem cell treatments ?How much stem cell technology can be helpful in curing optic nerve damage?