Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Problems after posterior cervical laminectomy

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

I had a posterior cervical laminectomy at C4/C5 on October 29th. This was to correct compression of the spinal cord caused by deterioration above a spinal fusion at c5/c6 done in 1991. This was causing leg pain, pain and numbness in both arms with pins and needles in my hands
About a week after the operation I developed severe deep aching pain in my left arm extending into my shoulder and hand, particularly my thumb. This subsequently spread to my right arm, shoulder and hand. The pain has now become so severe, that I am taking 240mg morphine tablets (2x120mg) per day and having to top up with oral morphine sulphate (10mg/5ml) when the pain breaks through the the tablets.
I had an MRI scan on Friday which apparently shows satisfactory decompression.
Can anyone help me to understand what is going on?
I don’t think I can cope with the pain for much longer.
I am seeing the surgeon again for the first time since I was discharged from hospital  this Friday, what questions should I be asking?
I don’t know whether it is significant or not, but when I woke after the operation I had burning pain in my forearms and thumbs which lessened up to the point the severe deep pain began a week later.
Sorry to have gone on for so long, but I am at my wits end.
Michael

Dear mikeyjohn,
If there was something wrong in the surgery (failure/nerve getting trapped/etc) then the MRI surely would had picked up the same.
So either there is something wrong with the MRI or something else.
Sometimes there are chances of post surgery "Chronic pain syndrome" sort of presentation.
Since you are on morphine, i assume that the pain is really severe.
Your treating doctor can give the best judgment in this case, as he needs to read the MRI himself, co-relate the findings and then arrive at the conclusion.
Feel free to tell us the diagnosis, once you meet him.Till that time, continue with the medicines and continue using the cervical collar as prescribed.
Regards..