Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Severe Headaches - Chiari Related ???

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Severe Headaches - Chiari Related ???

Ok, I have been dealing with my issues for nearly ten years.  And they are a broad scope of issues that all fall neatly into the Chiari Syndrome and Chiara 1 diagnosis yesterday.  I have 3 questions:I will quote directly from the MRI without contrast report on them-

1) what is "prominent lower basal ganglia perivascular spaces incidentally noted"

2)  Bilateral low lying cerebellar tonsils about 9mm below the craniocervical junction, with moderate craniocervical crowding but no deformity of the medulla unable to determine impingement

3) FROM THE CT REPORT - Moderate effacement of the CSF

What the heck does all this mean?  And more importantly would it explain the extreme bulge and sensitive spot in my cervical spine? I have been referred to MUSC neurology but whether i will get an appointment this YEAR remains to be seen.  In the meantime I have serious dizzy spells, debilitating migraines, facial numbness, ear, jaw, throat pain, an goiter and enlarged liver, a flare of PCOS in my only remaining ovary, and I also have serious pain everywhere because I also have spina bifida and some sort of anomaly beside the spina bifida.  Pain *****, Im miserable, and just want to know if this is all connected, and what the heck to think about all this.  I cant sleep, I have apnea, but not sleep apnea that I am aware of.  I have also had bilateral galaactorrhea for going on 11 years now, which is how they found this in the first place.  I have had echocardiograms, colonoscopys, egds, they checked everything before they decided to scan for a pituitary adenoma and came back with this chiari business.  My mother has been suffering with headaches and supposed fibromyalgia, but after reading the recent chiari studies done by Unive of Missouri, I am thinking that she probably has chiari as well. Someone interpret and help me please.  Oh I am thiry four, white female. Thanks!
Dear Friend,
I would like to answer your 3 specific questions -

1) what is "prominent lower basal ganglia perivascular spaces incidentally noted".
                                Normally the Basal Ganglia s not known for small vascular areas. Basal ganglia is a part of the main brain, in humans.Normally while doing the Brain study, the radiologists don't look for any increased vascular areas near the basal ganglia.
In your case, the co-incidentally found it.

Normally the Medulla oblongata (Hind brain) is at the level of cervico-cranial junction. However in your case, it is 9 mm lower than the normal position.However the best part is that no abnormality is detected here.

3) FROM THE CT REPORT - Moderate effacement of the CSF.
This is a little matter of concern and maybe due to increased CSF production.

I read all of your discomforts and would recommend you to meet a neurologist as well as a Neurosurgeon and they would be able to examine you and provide a correct / biasing free diagnosis.
Regards.

Please discuss.
Hi I am not a dr, but invite u to join the Chiari forum here on MedHelp

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc

"selma"
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.  Yesterday, I turned my head, my neck popped, and I blacked out, causing me to fall down a flight of stairs and sprain both ankles, including the one that had reconstructive surgery on it nearly 11 years ago. Yay.
I am so sorry I missed this post.....and  to hear about ur fall.
Ur absence was apparent in the Chiari forum...and I pray u r on the mend.

Take care and hope to get an update soon : )

"selma"