Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Upcoming Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery & Recovery
About This Forum:

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Upcoming Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery & Recovery

I am having Ulnar Nerve Transposition Surgery, probably submuscular, in the next few weeks on the left arm.  I will find out the date this week. I was told was that it will be same day surgery, and I will be wearing a heavy bukly splint from the shoulder to the wrist. I was told the surgery is highly successful, and there are not many problems with recovery. He said the splint is not to get wet, and not to be taken off. I will probably be wearing it for 3 weeks, then PT.

I am a male, married, and I have very little support, so basically I am going at this alone. I am trying to guage how much help I will need, based on mobility and pain level. I have had several surgeries before, and I know the first few days are always the worst.  But in this case, is it days? or a day? or a week? Can I be left alone the day after surgery? Or do I need to hire a home health aide? If I cannot be by myself, how long do you think it take till I can be?

I am only 30, and I want to do the best I can to make this as successful as possible and put this behind me. I just don't know what to expect, and since I don't have help, I'm trying to figure out how much help I am going to need to get. Also, my doctor found that I may have some carpal tunnel syndrome of the other nerve, the one affecting the middle fingers. I have a lot of pain now in the wrist, but it is hard for me to tell if it more the middle or the outside. I guess since I'd be going in for surgery anyway, and I'd be "under" anyway, can the surgeon do both at the same time? I really don't want to have any more surgery after this.

I also just had abdominal surgery 7 weeks ago, and even though I am still recovering from that, I was cleared to have this one. That is another reason why I need to know how much help I will need/how much I can do on my own, since I am still healing from that.

I think my main question is can I do this alone, and can I be alone the day(s) after the surgery, or do I need to hire help.

mgs02