Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
What caused wavey vision, then fainting?

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

I am a 50 yr old female and have these almost daily episodes now of wavey, spotted tunnel vision that just come on with no warning. These last about 45 min to an hour and I am just exhausted once they are over. I was hospitalized in 1981 when I fainted in the cafeteria at a San Antonio hospital. The doctors in the room that witnessed this said I had a seizure. After 3 days of testing for epilepsy the test came back negative. I had the same wavey tunnel vision as this episode happened, until the tunnel just went black. This same exact thing happened again in 1985. My husband carried me to bed after I fainted and said he didn't think I had a seizure. Over the years I have had this wavey tunnel vision happen many times and feel like I break into a cold sweat when this happens and have always been able to pull the car over, or sit down at work and just wait until it passes. I haven't fainted again. These episodes happened once every month or so. The past 5 or 6 weeks they have started again with a vengance. Almost every morning now I have the wavey tunnel vision, and while sitting down I can feel the tunnel getting smaller almost to the point of fainting again. Sometimes this is happening twice a day. I've never had headaches in my life, but after an episode behind my eyes hurt like severe muscle strain. I feel exhausted and weak and spend the rest of the day laying down. I am worried I am going to black out again and hit the floor so I have not been out of the house to grocery shop or drive at all. I am on two meds that I've taken for years now, neurontin daily and prednisone steroids off and on every few months. I was tested for MS in 2001 with an MRI because of loss of reflexes in my legs, nerve pain and muscle weakness. Neg on the MRI for any problems. Was told I have neuropathy is why I take the two medications. I have been on these for years and don't believe they are the cause of my vision distortions and fainting feelings now.
Dear Friend,
You would require a lot of diagnostic test, before we can come up with some positive diagnosis or findings. MRI is a must investigation presently and need of a dye / contrast is debatable.
The present symptoms are too much co-relating with brain and eye and hence would suggest you to meet a good opthalmologist also, to rule out slightest possibility of eye related issues.
I need to know, if you are covered under insurance..so that i can ask you for specific investigations.
Regards.
I do not have insurance. My husband is on Medicare, but I am not covered.