Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
White spots on brain and PFO
About This Forum:

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

White spots on brain and PFO

I have been seeing neurologists for migraines.  He requested an MRI.  I got a call yesterday from his aid stunned that I needed to see a cardiologist.  She said my MRI showed 'several white spots and that I had a PFO, which was a hole in my heart, and that my dr. was recommending that it be closed.'  Just curious, but what did he see on my MRI that would make him get to such a conclusion?  I read that you get white spots when you are over 40, (I am 46) so how do they know what caused mine?  I do get frequent migraines, (5-7 a month).  They have increased in the last 2-3 years, right about the time the edema in my legs started.  But everyone agrees that that is idiopathic. I get warnings with really big migraines and one doctor thought I was having tia's but a cat scan showed nothing.  Currently I am on Topamax, 25 mg bid.  The 2nd month was wonderful, now I am on my 3rd and they are coming back, but the headaches are very manageable.  As time goes by they do seem to be getting worse though.  I also take B2 and COQ10  per doctors orders.   Thanks.  Liz