Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
choroid fissure cyst

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

choroid fissure cyst

I am a 46 yr old female

I was diagnosed with a 9mm choroid fissure cyst on my medical superior left temporal lobe.  (MRI)
it also stated that there no focus abnormal contrast  enhancement.  in particular  the 7th and 8th nerve region is unremarkable.  not sure what that means.

Symptoms:
*facial pain (like sever sinus pain). from eye brow to jaw line
*left eye sight is very foggy and blurred
*ear pressure and somtimes deaf in one ear for up to 2 hrs
*I hear heatbeat in left ear (like an ultra sound u get when your pregnant (whoosh whoosh)
*nausea
*light headed
*difficulty remembering what im trying to say or spell a word

Questions???
1) Are these symtoms (symptoms) normal for this type of cyst and what is the treatment.  I dont know how much longer I can deal with this nausea and face pain.  

2) What is the typical treatment for this type of cyst.

3) several years ago I was diagnosed with (not sure whats it was called) but I have no spinal fluid on a small section of my back (between shoulder blades).  The doctor told me that it was caused either by a severe blow to the back and the fluid leaked out or I was born with it (but doubted that was the case because baby usually died from this).  I have never had a severe blow to the back.  **Could this have any thing to do with  my current condition.

I am scheduled to see a neurologist on dec 10th but am wondering what to expect.

Thank you
Dear Lorigood,
Before i start giving the details, i would like to tell you that , i will be telling you about the basic background of the disease.However nothing is comparable to the real time diagnosis given by the treating doctor.Since you have already taken appointment with the Neurologist, that a good thin you have done.
Temoporal lobe is in cerebral cortex (brain) and is concerned with Auditory,Speech,Vision and long term memory (due to hippocampus attachment).
So i guess now you can easily understand as why you are experiencing the above mentioned symptoms.
The cyst is regularly impending upon the Grey  matter and white matter of the lobe, causing these symptoms.

As far as the treatment is concerned, it varies from medical management (which aims at controling the symptoms) to surgical management (for cyst removal).The decision for surgery depends upon many factors (eg- failure of medical management, uncontrolled symptoms,increasing size of the cyst,etc).The treating doctor weighs various factors to arrive at the conclusion.

The third question of yours, where you are co-relating the fluid presence in between your shoulder blade, with the cyst in the temporal lobe.I can assure you that both are different conditions.They are not at all inter-related.
I hope your queries are resolved.In case of further clarifications required,feel free to ask me more.
Regards.
I would have thought I would have had a response by now...since I did "pay" for this advice.  Im alittle dissapointed.
With a 9mm cyst (not sure how big that is or serious) with the above symtoms (symptoms) I am having.  Do "YOU" believe that surgery may the the outcome?  And if they choose to try meds, are the meds just a SYPMTOM reliver or do they actually reduce the size of the cyst?  Im not sure how much longer I can deal with the face pain and nausea, let alone the confusing on a daily basis.  I actually understand how someone feels after having a stoke...they know what they want to say, but cant seem to find the words.

I understand you are not the treating physician, but I am curious what you think based on my symtoms (symptoms) and size of this cyst.

Thanks you
Lori
Dear Friend Lori,
I can fully understand your feelings.
The medicines provided can NEVER decrease the size of the cyst.Medicines are provided on the basis of symptoms (ie symptom reliever).
Surgery part-i really can't comment on the surgery present because surgery has it's own complication. So until absolutely indicated, i can't really tell.
I will put it as follows-Surgery is the last option.
Please feel free to discuss more.
Regards.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

I am now starting to feel pressure and a burning sensation in my left gland area (below left ear at jaw)  I know they told me they doubted this was cancer, but I am starting to get concerned because my syptoms (symptoms) seem to be getting more frequent and more intense.  The nausea had become better, but pain and discomfort is worse and seems to be spreading to other areas of my left side of my head.

Please explain why this may be happening.  I know you can't diagnose, but any advise you can give would be appreciated.
Lori
A related discussion, choroid fissure cyst was started.