Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
tongue twitching

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

tongue twitching

28 months ago I had a sharp pain in my tongue and lip. The next day the right side of my tongue started to twitch from time to time.  I could make it twitch.  Went to a Neuro who did an EMG and exam including my tongue all normal in Jan 08.  Saw him for a year and said I no longer had to see him.  The twitch had spread to to tip.  He though it was caused by nerve damage due to the many tongue infections and allergic reaction.  Feb 2009 same pain only on left side twitching started next day.  Saw Neuro who again said everything looked fine.  May 2009 I dropped a router on my face and the 5TH nerve was damaged.  Left side of face paralyzed.  All twitching on the right and left stopped.  August 2009 pain in lip and tongue came back and twitching started on both sides.  ENT looked at my tongue and said it was healthy but extremely irritated.  2 weeks ago Dentist made me guard to wear at night and day. He thought I was suffering from muscle fatigue because the way my tongue was pressing against the bottom of my teeth.   I can make my tongue twitch by pushing on it. Sometimes I can feel it and sometimes not.  After I eat my tongue is sore and the tip will twitch on both sides.  GP says last week that my tongue is healthy and if I had ALS the 5Th nerve would not have regenerated itself. Is that true? He says that after 28 months I would have a lot more signs. I can feel it twitching now and I am at my wits end. Any ideas on what I can do to stop this twitching. Thank you
Dear Buddy,
Well there is nothing presently we can do effectively to stop the twiching.
Just pure relaxation of the concerned muscles may provide a little relief.Nothing more will help you.You are already done with the required consultations, so request you, not to think too much now as we can't do anything to stop this twitch.
If there is anything else, i can help you on, do ask me.
Regards
Thank you for answering me. When I damaged the 5Th nerve this past May were they right that if I had ALS the nerve would have never have regenerated.  Also since after 28 months of tongue twitching even though it has gotten worse and I still having a healthy tongue am I out of the woods regarding ALS?

Thank you