Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
weak arm/wrist/hand

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

weak arm/wrist/hand

For several weeks now i have noticed a weakness/tiredness in my left arm/wrist/hand. Last night it was so weak i couldnt hold a fork to cut my daughters pasta up. Now im scared. It seems to have started in my pinky and ringfinger. Movement became difficult, then its getting worse quick...I cant cut pasta. i cant wash dishes..eg hold a plate in my left hand and wash it with my right. The pressure from my right hand on the plate is too much. I have no strength at all. Please tell me what this may be. I am seeing my GP in 2 weeks. I have no other pain anywhere like back or neck.I have no prior illnesses.I am 37 and female with one child..Please help me. i am scared. Its my hand not my arm...thanks ..
Dear Kirstenkimberlee,

Weakness of the left hand which is for several weeks could be due to problems anywhere from the peripheral nerves of the left hand to the cortex (grey matter) over the right side of the brain. It can occur due to simple causes like carpal tunnel syndrome to serious causes like infection, stroke and tumors.

Since you specifically say about hand, carpal tunnel syndrome, and pinched nerves during their course are possible reasons. If you have pain and numbness in your hands and that makes you wake up at night, also difficulty working with thumb, index and middle fingers ( median nerve) it is reasonably Carpal tunnel.

One can localize the site of the problem by a good neurological examination and I insist it before treatment. It would be helpful if you can make a note of the list of symptoms, their duration with progression on a paper to describe them well to the doctor whom you meet.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find the reason for the weakness of the left hand soon with the help of your Primary physician.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shiva Kumar R
I also seem to have massive twitching in my body....I was watching tv last night and the twitch was so bad i accidently threw the remote control all the way over the other side of the room..These are involuntry whole body spasms...ive had these and they are getting worse, more frequent and bigger...Ta..
I have issues with my pinky and ring finger. I am also loosing co-ordiniation.
Dear Kirstenkimberlee,

The description of the twitches looks more like a cortical myoclonus where jerks appear to some external stimuli such as touch, sound and so on.

The underlying cause could be in the spinal cord or in the brain.  Rarely this can be due to severe stress and lack of sleep. I recommend that you get examined by a neurologist.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shiva Kumar R
hello! my daughter who is 13 years old told me her wrist hurt specially the right one, but i have always noticed she can not make a lot of pressure, her wrist are weak.
A related discussion, Neuropathic pain in left arm and shoulder. was started.