Flying with a VP shunt
I noticed the last question similar to mine was placed in 2003, and I am hoping there have been some changes. I am planning a trip to COsta Rica in December, but I am literally scared to death of flying now that I have a VP shunt. When I was first diagnosed with Pseudotumor cerebri I flew down and it didnt cause any headaches, but now that I have a shunt, I dont want to take any unnecessary risks- especially considering my neurologist will be thousands of miles away...... I dont wish to be 'land-bound' from now on, but I dont wish to cause any malfunctions to my shunt...... help!
Hi mia.  Relax!  Its ok to fly with a shunt. I have done many journeys with one and no problems.

My first flight was a short one ,one and a half hours, but it was only four months after surgery. I had no problem whats so ever. I have been on longer flights  since and no problem.
Are you taking Diomax? Maybe you could take an extra one, 250mgs, in case.
I know a lot of people who have shunts and there are a few problems when you are going to a warm, sunny place.
If this is the case ,d rop me a line and I can fill you in. Have a good trip! Cath278.