Neurology Community
Leg Muscle spasm after partial discectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

20th Feb 2009 I had partial discectomy on L5/S1.  On the third day after operation I have found that on walking or certain movements, I  would get dreadful muscle cramps in the leg, sometimes so painful it seems worse than the original sciatica pain.  Can anyone advise me as to whether this will eventually go or whether more surgery is necessary and who should I consult, orthopaedic surgeon or neurologist?  Should I be taking medication to help the nerves to relax or am I doing too much too soon?  Is this going to last for the rest of my life, or is there light at the end of this dark tunnel???  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello dear hazaybabe1307,
well what you have described sounds little bad.
You may have one of the following -
1) Failed back surgery syndrome (You surgery has failed).
2) Nerve root irritation / pinched nerve superadded to inflamation (inflammation) at the surgical site.

Consult your treating doctor soon.
You might need a course of steriod also to relieve you of your symptoms.
However if it's not relieved by the steroid course, then it might sound little trouble.
However i woil not like to discuss that part as more than 50% times there is very good improvement by short course of steroid.
SO keep us posted and we are there to guide you,
regards
abhijeet
Hi. According to my surgeon is normal having leg discomfort for 6wks after surgery because of the manipulation of the nerve during surgery.

The nerve are inflame after the surgery.  If there is leg discomfort after 6wks tell your dr he may call for another mri to see what is going on. Go for physiotherapy.  Using icing and tens. Tell your dr or surgeon about it. He may give u medications to reduce the inflammation.  

I am already 4 months from a discectomy I am still having problems with my leg because I had scar tissue problem. Is a failed back surgery syndrome for me. I did discectomy twice last year and I have twice failed back surgery because my body tend to have tons of scar tissue.  Make sure you do pt to prevent scar tissues.  Scar tissue will causes chronic pain if there is too much.