Neurology Community
Leg Muscle spasm after partial discectomy
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Leg Muscle spasm after partial discectomy

20th Feb 2009 I had partial discectomy on L5/S1.  On the third day after operation I have found that on walking or certain movements, I  would get dreadful muscle cramps in the leg, sometimes so painful it seems worse than the original sciatica pain.  Can anyone advise me as to whether this will eventually go or whether more surgery is necessary and who should I consult, orthopaedic surgeon or neurologist?  Should I be taking medication to help the nerves to relax or am I doing too much too soon?  Is this going to last for the rest of my life, or is there light at the end of this dark tunnel???  
Related Discussions
hello dear hazaybabe1307,
well what you have described sounds little bad.
You may have one of the following -
1) Failed back surgery syndrome (You surgery has failed).
2) Nerve root irritation / pinched nerve superadded to inflamation (inflammation) at the surgical site.

Consult your treating doctor soon.
You might need a course of steriod also to relieve you of your symptoms.
However if it's not relieved by the steroid course, then it might sound little trouble.
However i woil not like to discuss that part as more than 50% times there is very good improvement by short course of steroid.
SO keep us posted and we are there to guide you,
regards
abhijeet
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity