100% blocked carotid artery - I'm told it's genetic
I am a 59 year old woman who exercises vigorously regularly and has good cholestrol levels, etc.

About a year ago in a routine checkup and followup tests, I was diagnosed with a 100% blocked carotid artery on one side.  I went to a cardiologist who couldn't understand this due to my really good blood test results, etc.  Said it could be genetic which is very rare.

Has anyone else heard of this?  I'm terrified that my other artery will become clogged also. (It is fine now)
Barbara
your doctor has just accepted an 100% blockage not planning a ballon cath or anything????/ get that taken care off big risk or heart attack or stroke.You only had a doppler done of one artery not two....thats odd that only one side is blocked what is the percent on other side? and I dont blame you for being worried Id be terrified get to a good cariologist  or neck specialist
I'm in  a similar situation.  Both my carotid arteries have 49% blockage.  My cholesteral has always been good, but just recently it went a couple points into the high range.    My diet has always been good, and I exercise. My doctor's only explanation is genetic.  I told him I was concerned because all of the women in my family have had strokes.   I had the doppler because I was having blurred vision, but he said not enough blockage to cause it.  I asked him if 49% was normal for a 50 year old and he said no - we'd just have to keep on eye on it.