Neurology Community
11 year old female experencing sharp pains in head.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have an 11 year old daughter that started getting sharp pains on the left side of her head just above the ear.  It has now been going on for a week.  She is having this sharp pain roughly 6 to 10 times a day.  She describes it has the worse pain she has ever felt.  She grabs her head and cries out in pain while having them.  They are lasting roughly 20 to 60 seconds.  Sometimes after the really sharp pain starts to decrease she says it feels like it pulses in waves through her whole head.  She gets pale, says she has the shakes (like the inner shakes), says she feels like her heart speeds up while she is experiencing the sharp pain.  She is also been complaining of her right arm feeling numb and she has been complaining of right leg and knee pain as well as lower back pain.  Just in the last two days she has been experencing the pain in the right temple now as well.  Sometimes she says it feels like it goes right through her head.  

Now she has a peditrician that we saw two days ago.  She did all the test to make sure she wasn't suffering from a bleed or tumur in the brain.  All the tests went well and after all that she told us she doesn't know what is going on.  But she wasn't to worried.  Well I'm worried. I asked for an MRI to be done and she went ahead and ordered that test.  (We live in Canada) We're hoping to get the test soon, but in the mean time I'm trying to help my child.  She starts school in 5 days and I'm worried about her being at school and having these pains almost every hour. We have tried Advil and Tylonal but it doesn't help her at all.  What would you suggest my next move be in helping my daughter and does any of this sound like something you have heard of before?  

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly apperciated.  Thank you for your time in reading this post.

Angie
Tags: 11 yr old/sharp head pains