Neurology Community
15 year old boy passing out

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

15 year old boy passing out

I have a 15 year old son that passed out yesterday while at school while standing attending mass. He has passed out in mass while standing when he was 12 and when he was sitting in a classroom when he was 8. It was always around 8-9 am and after he had eaten something sugary at 7am. When this happened at 12 the teacher was concerned that he had a seizure because his eyes rolled up and he shook for 30 seconds and then came out of it and was ok. We had him thouroughly tested (eeg, blood tests, heart evaluation-ekg, and mri on brain) and everything appeared normal. They said it was a vagel nerve response or blood sugar crash. He is small for his age 5'03 105lbs and very active in soccer and other sports. Not and ounce of fat on him. Never any symptoms while in sports or at home just when he is inactive in church setting and warm. Yesterday at 7am he ate a sugary granola bar and a small amount of gatorade and went to school. He was tired because he did not get alot of sleep the night before. At 8am while in mass (warm in church) standing teachers witnessed him become unsteady and appeared to start sitting down and instead of sitting he straightened up arched his back and looked to the sky and laid in the chair behind him stiff as a board. They laid him down and said his eyes were open and glazed and he was slightly shaking. The incident lasted about 30 seconds and he came out of it and was frightened but knew the teachers who were helping him. He was sweating and a little groggy but they got him up and took him outside to get air. He said he did start feeling queezy before he went out and thought he sat down. I brought him home and he laid down for several hours and I fed him and took him in to the doctor. He felt fine. Blood tests were normal and the doctor felt he did not have a seizure but again had a sugar crash. I asked him about the seizure like symptoms and he said that was not abnormal to react that way when you pass out. The teachers really felt he had a seizure saying when they saw someone pass out they would just drop forward and go completely out and not shake or become rigid. We are going to stay on him about eating better and make him eat protein in the morning and stay hydrated. He is in the middle of soccer season and is running and sweating alot. I am still concerned that he might be having seizures. Thanks for any input.