Neurology Expert Forum
17month old with concussion
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

17month old with concussion

My 17th month old feel about 4 inches off a little table and hit the side of her face and head she
was unconscious for about 3 minuets.  I'm scared because she is a very busy child and likes to jump
and run, has no fear and constantly hits her head on things I have read that if they get a concussion again that it's worst the second time around.
Related Discussions
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history of the details of your daughter's episode and without being able to examine her, I can not tell you the exact repercussions of future potential injuries, however I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Heat trauma such as hitting the head on a table is of course not exactly like the head trauma that children might sustain in sports, but since that is where most of the research and medical recommendations emphasize, I will use that as my main example. Please keep in mind these do not necessarily apply to 17 month olds but rather to older children, adolescents, and adults, so this is just an example.

The American Academy of Neurology have issued guidelines to physicians regarding when a person of any age can return to sports after he/she has sustained a concussion. They have divided the severity of a concussion into 3 types: trade 1, in which there is just some confusion but no loss of consciousness, grade II in which there is transient confusion, no loss of consciousness, but the confusion lasts for more than 15 minutes, and grade III, in which there is any loss of consciousness. It sounds like your daughter did lose consciousness, and if this the case, her episode would be analogous to a grade III concussion. For grade III concussion sustained by athletes during sports, it is generally recommended that the athlete not return to sports for 2 weeks, because another concussion should it occur would certainly increase the risk of more serious consequences. So while I can not comment exactly on your daughters case, a similar sort of precaution to make sure she avoids any sort of minor head trauma for at least some time following her episode would be prudent.

Having said that, I advise you to raise this issue with your daughter's pediatrician, she would benefit from evaluation her physician for a full neurologic exam if this has not been done since her episode, particularly since there was loss of consciousness. Discussing your concerns with her physician is important.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank