Neurology Expert Forum
2 herniated cervical disks
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

2 herniated cervical disks

hi, i have 2 herniated cervical c6-7 and c5-6 i had an epidoral steroid injection in my c6-c7, i had the shot about a week ago... i seem to be having more pain and in different places now... the doctor wants me to get two more shots...another doctor i saw just suggested surgery... the question i have is two fold, one what are the chances of two more shots helping my problem.. 2 are their any side effects too the steroids...one more thing,if i may,the pain i am experienceing is very intense, their does not seem to be a medication that helps... i tried codein along with a host of others... some turned my stomach, some made me lightheaded and woosy, unable to work... is their anything out their, can help with the pain without making me sleepy or turning my stomach?
  thank you very much for your help
Cervical disc disease may present with pain, numbness and/or weakness of the upper extremities.  When severe, a herniated disc may cause weakness of the legs and incontinence of bowel and bladder function (this is unusual).  A patient with new cervical radicular pain may be managed conservatively for 6-8 weeks as often a disc will shrink down on its own, relieving the symptoms described above.  When symptoms are refractory to conservative therapies, surgery may be considered.
Part of a conservative therapy regimen may include local injections of steroids or local anesthetics.  This often will help alleviate some of the pain.  The drawback is that the injections are only temporary and the pain often returns.  In many patients the injections will help a patient get over the pain while the disc shrinks and the nerve compression resolves.  In many cases surgery can be avoided using this management strategy.
Other medications used for pain are oral analgesics, NSAIDS and oral steroids.  Each medication has its own particular side-effects and at times a patient must experiment to find the best one.
If your pain persists or deteriorates, you should notify your physician.
Good luck.