Neurology Community
2 shoulder surgeries with chronic pain for almost three yrs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had two shoulder surgeries after an accident at work that torn my rotator cuff and really messed up my shoulder.  It has been an ongoing battle.  The doctor that did the surgery was amazing.  He specialized in Shoulder Surgeries.  Unfortunately, I had to move to Iowa from massachusetts 6 weeks after the second surgery.  The doctor here has done absolutely NOTHING.  He basically looks me over and tells me "lets wait and see."  The last time I went I was concerned because it felt like the bone was sliding on me.  He told me that there was no way that my shoulder was slipping because it was way to tight and that I had some frozen shoulder.  That confused me thats like being a little pregnant.  I have told him that there is constant aching pain, and certain movements cause sharp pains.  I have awful pain at night, I dont sleep anymore.  The arm with the injured shoulder is constantly cold.  I cant get it warm.   There are times when it feels like my shoulder is on fire.  Ever since the surgery I have pain in my elbow and at times my ring & pinky finger go completely numb.  He has told me to keep bowling that will help the lower ROM loose. However my upper ROM's and my multiple range movements are extremely painful.  Now my knee is acting up it is all swollen and I keep getting episodes with my legs feeling like they are on fire.  The doctor's keep telling me that I should have been healed by now.  Unfortunately it feels like he is just patting me on my head.  It seems like he doesnt want to be bothered with someone else's surgery and workers comp.  I am soooo frustated.  

I just want my life back.  I am tired of hurting every single day.  Its funny I went to the ER tonight.  Because of the surgery my muscles in my upper back that support my shoulder and that band not sure what it is) that runs from my neck to my shoulder feels like a rubber band that it strecthed as far as it can go.  At the ER tonight he said that his is chronic pain.  On my paperwork he says pain management/Chronic seizure.  They finally put me on a muscle relaxer.  

At this point i dont know where to turn, I am soooo depressed.  I am sick of hurting and its getting to the point that I barely leave the house.  It takes too much to get up and get dressed.  I know that my husband is sick of me complaining about the pain and it limits the things that we do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated because I am at the end of my rope

This discussion is related to Hand Nerve Pain After Shoulder Surgery.
I should also mention, that it has been about 4-5 months since the Ortho in Iowa told me that it was frozen shoulder and he has prescribed no treatment and it continues to get worse. I called the other day in tears because my muscles were spasming so much and my shoulder is once again inflammed (It is a constant awful unending cycle).  

The Physical Therapist has said more than once that he believes that I have RSD.
sorry I am trying to be thorough but I keep leave stuff out.  My orginal injury was 2/28/06 my first surgery was 8/10/06 and my second surgery was 6/29/07.  

I have had 4-5 rounds of pT
3-4 shots of cortisone
2 MRI's
and several xrays

after the first surgery I started to have problems with my elbow.

The first surgery they did a nerve block and I dont know if they nicked something but the whole right side of my body jerked off the table (I had no control of the movement) and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.  I had a numb spot in the area on my neck behind my ear for about 6 months after the first surgery

My other concern in that I have severe asthma and am frequently on very high doses of steroids.  I am concerned about the side effects to my shoulder specifically from all of these cortisone shots and steroids.

I think that covers everything