Neurology Expert Forum
2 year old falling down and unusual walk

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm hoping you will be able to give some insight or direction into my son's problem.  He is two years old and on 2 different  occasions he has had episodes of falling down and complaining that his leg and back hurt.  Both times this happened (they happened about 2 weeks apart and the last time was about 2 weeks ago) he had just been playing normally.  It looked almost as if he had no control over his leg muscles.  Each time he would try to get up he would fall down again.  The last time this happened when he tried to walk his back looked all arched and "bent" kind of to the side almost.  The first time lasted about 30 minutes, the second time most of the evening, and even when he laid in bed that night he still said that he hurt and he wouldn't even stand in his crib to hug me goodnite (very unusual).  

I should also mention that he walks kind of funny.  My husband and I never thought much of it but now with this other thing happening it's beginning to worry us.  He kind of looks like a "drunken sailor" at times and he doesn't seem to be able to walk in a straight line.  He looks kind of pigeon toed or that he criss-crosses his feet when he walks.  Also, sometimes it looks like he walks/runs with his head forward.  Two other things that I want to mention (just because I want to cover everything)it seems as if he's always drooling, very excessively.  And, the other may sound odd but he loves stickers and he has to have them all over his face, almost all the time.  Could the sticky stuff be harmful in anyway if it's ingested into his skin?  I know it sounds bizzare.  

He did have blood tests (a cbc and "els or ers" ??) and an xray of both his hips and everything came back negative.  (His pediatrician doesn't seem to think he walks funny but the office is probably a little small for a good assesment.)  I know this is a good sign but should we wait for something to happen again or does his condition, in your opinion, warrant seeking further medical attention now?  And if we do what questions and or tests should we ask for.  I'm sorry this is so long, I just wanted to make sure you had all the info.  Thanks so much for your consideration of an answer.
Dear Jennifer:

I am sorry to hear about your 2 year old son.  It is always troublesome when we hear about a child who has episodic difficulties in walking and complains of back pain.  Little children do not complain unless there is something real (unlike adults).  I would make an appointment with a pediatric neurologist and have him evaluated.  The pediatrician did the correct thing in getting the x-rays of the hips and he/she ruled out hip problems, but since he has back problems that are episodic and walks alittle different than other children his age at times, I think it best to have him looked at by a neurologist.  One does have to remember that toddlers have a toddler's gait which can look funny to adults but usually we find that parents are pretty good at noticing something funny with their child.  There are many things that can cause what your seeing, so I won't venture to list them all.  But, I would imagine that after a good neurological exam things will sort out and maybe an MRI of the brain and spinal cord might also be asked for.

As far as the stickers, that is very natural and as you venture into toilet training will come in handy as a reward.  As long as he doesn't use super glue he should be okay.  Some children drool and they are perfectly normal.

So, see a pediatric neurologist soon.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Hi, My son had very similar problems when he was very young, he also liked to play with peices if tape constantly and he walked kinda like he was drunk. He was also very repetive with gesture.
After many years of asking questions he was finally diagnoised with Ashpergers Syndrome a form of autisim...Keep looking for answers. A big university medical center would be a good option. Take care and Good Luck   Betty
Did your son have any case of strep throat?  my neice did and then came down with a rare disease called sydhams chorea... Some of the same symptoms!    Something that happened a few months after strep!
sorry your little boy is having problems with his legs and gait.  we have been there with my daughter who is 3.  she also had an abnormal gait and back pin as well as falling fall the time.  does your boy have a dimple or any birth mark on his back?  my daughter had a dimple which is a sighn of a possible spinl defect called a dermal sinus this causes the cord to be come stretched and stuck which can cause back pain and problems witht he legs.  also i would really recomend the spinal mri to rule out any spinal defects.  this is correctable my daughter had her cord released on 11-29-00 and already we have seen improvement.  good luck.

joanna hanna
katelynn 3 (tcs, spinal lipoma, dermal sinus, cong scoliosis, partial sacral agenesis, hypotonia, seizures, biulateral renal reflux, scarred right kidney.)
I am 16 years old. And I was searching on the internet about the disease that I have, CIDP.  I was diagnosed with this when I was about 13.. they used to think that I had Peripheral Neuropathy.
My mother breast fed me with Breast Implants so I was wondering if you have breast implants Jennifer... Odd question I know. But it is worth asking because alot of women with BI's are having problems with the 2nd generation.
A related discussion, toddler wakes up & can't walk why? was started.
A related discussion, My daughter said she is feeling dizzy. was started.