4 year old girl sharp shooting pains in neck 1x/2wks
Child tells me that once every 2-3 weeks she has a sharp pain in the back of her neck - not centered on spine but slightly to left and base of skull.  For 1-2 seconds she can feel the "attack" about to start then she feels a sharp shooting pain that lasts a couple seconds then dissipates.  After 2-3 minutes she's fine with no symptoms.
I haven't found a pattern to these episodes - happens while doing different activities, even just sitting still with neck in a "relaxed" position (sitting upright, laying down, standing, swinging... there doesn't seem to be a pattern).

This morning she was sitting in her carseat and out of nowhere SCREAMED in AGONY because her neck did it again.  This time it lasted a good 10 seconds of intense pain and then dissipated after 5 minutes.  But she said she'd never had one so painful before.

1. what might be causing this?
2. should i be concerned or is this normal?
3. help!