Neurology Expert Forum
4th and 5th finger numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

4th and 5th finger numbness
I had a giant cell tumor removed 8 months ago left 5th finger. 2 weeks ago I developed constant numbness to inner aspect 5th finger and to less degree in 4th finger.  The 5th finger seems to want to adduct and flex.  At times the 5th finger is tremoring on its own.  My surgeon is out of the country now and I'm not sure who to see.  Could this be related to the surgery and possibly the GCT returning? Or should I see a neurologist?  I'd appreciate any info.  Thanks...zoey
I'm not sure how extensive the surgery was but there are nerves that run up and down the sides of the fingers (the digital nerves) which if damages could cause sensory symptoms. There is not much that can be done to reverse nerve damage when it has occurred - it gets better over time and can be treated symptomatically with medications liek neurontin or pregabalin. The adduction and flexion might be some stiffness and contraction of the tendons rather than motor nerve damage which would have to occur farther up in the hand. Physical therapy and/or finger splints esp at night should prevent any development of contractures (a fixed deformity). You may want to see who is covering for your surgeon while he is out.
A related discussion, Numbness in 4th and 5th digits was started.