Neurology Expert Forum
8 Weeks Post ACDF

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

8 Weeks Post ACDF

I am 8 weeks post ACDF of C6 C7, and I started back to work and am finding it impossible to do my job effectively. I work at a computer for 8 to 10 hours a day and I can't seem to make it thru 2.5 hours without severe pain and weakness in the neck and down the back and across the shoulder blades. I have had to resort to ice and finally stop working. I am going back to surgeon today. Two days ago I heard and felt a POP just below the back of my neck and have had spasms ever since. Just wondering if others had experienced this or is it just me?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I agree that you should follow up with your surgeon to discuss. You are still in the post-operative phase. It does take time for the body to heal.

Are the symptoms you are experiencing now the same as you had prior to surgery? There is a condition called failed back surgery. This condition usually occurs in patients who do not have clinical or imaging evidence of nerve compression. Or it may be a result of the surgery not removing all of the herniated disc, postoperative inflammation/scarring, surgery at the wrong spinal level, muscle spasm or psychosocial issues. Treatment would include re-operation, chronic pain intervention, rehabilitation, and/or neuropathic medications.

Let us know what the surgeon finds. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.