Neurology Expert Forum
A HELP!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A HELP!

Im 22 yrs.I tend to show this sudden jerky movements thats not at all voulantary..it just comes lik that,sometime my hand jerks out, sometimes it happens while im speaking,my mouth goes in a way unexpected and sometimes words go gibberish and  once my eyes went sideways.I feel wierd after this happens because its not happening under my control.I also have this breathing problem at times,rapid heart beats and dizziness..im not asthmatic or anything..from the past 2 years i have been noticing this but only consulted for the breathing problem to a general doctor.doctor told im in lack of blood. didnt care at all about the other symptoms but now it disturbs me as its not disappearing..i googled 2 find out this jerky movements are called "chorea"....and its because of your damage to basal ganglia.and also found out it has some connection with this breathlessness.I want to know if this is normal for now.will this increase in future..Please help
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The symptoms you describe sound like what we call " myoclonus" which are brief, rapid involuntary jerks. These can be benign for example when we are drifting off to sleep we can often have these jerks. Sometimes they can represent an underlying neurological problem. The most important one to rule out is seizures or epilepsy. Other less likely cause in your case include, stroke, tumor, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson't disease or Alzheimers. I know these are all scary prospects, so I want to assure you that these are much less likely. The thing that should be ruled out in your case is seizures.

I would recommend that you consult with a Neurologist so that appropriate testing including a Brain MRI and EEG ( brain wave testing to rule out seizures) can be done.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!