Neurology Expert Forum
A Myriad of Neurological Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A Myriad of Neurological Symptoms

I am a 25-year-old Hispanic male. Please, don't insinuate anything too detrimental as I am rather weak-minded and any suggestion to my having an ominous or degenerative illness will only make the soon-to-be-noted episodes to flare up.

I've been a migraine sufferer since my childhood, remembering full-well what it was like to see a NICKELODEON insignia in a color that was not orange or in a shape that was not a blob. Throughout the years, especially after my undergraduate studies, my neurological symptoms began to worsen dramatically. From blurred vision to ephemeral bouts of confusion, I've felt a myriad of neurological symptoms that have relegated me bed-bound and worried. My mental acumen has seemingly diminished, although I do have my days when I am very sharp and can easily debate even the most prolific of lawyers. What has been consuming my mind, lately, is that I've been suffering from one-sided weakness--usually triggered by stress--for three years, that is accompanied with minor mental lethargy. It happens predominantly on my left side, although it sporadically decides to afflict the remaining side. I've had a plethora--yes, plethora--of both CT and MRI scans. On a hospital visit in 2008--due to an intense migraine--I had an MRA done with contrast. Luckily for me, nothing remarkable was shown. Only recently, after much rumination, did I decide to have an MRI with contrast of my brain and C-spine last month;my not knowing what was wrong with me trumped any worry I had about the dye itself. Again, nothing remarkable was shown. Both my EEG and VEP were normal, except for am minor "spike" on my EEG; my neurologist has decided that it would be in my best interest to have a revisionary EEG done. I haven't delineated everything due to character-space issues on this site, but I'd love to read a few encouraging replies. None of you have seen my scans or my blood results, rendering your opinions to be taken with a grain of salt, so I guess I've come here for support.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is encouraging that most of your tests are normal.  Sometimes people with migraines tend to get these one sided weakness with their migraines.  Do you ever notice these symptoms with your headaches?  Given that your cervical spine is normal, you probably do not currently have Multiple sclerosis or a disc herniation.  

I would recommend repeating the EEG and if possible to capture one of these events while you are hooked up to see if they are seizures.

I hope this information was helpful.