Neurology Community
A Weird Feeling As I Try To Fall Asleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A Weird Feeling As I Try To Fall Asleep

For several weeks I have had what can only be described as a "weird" feeling as I try to fall asleep.  I should mention that this does not happen every night, but it has been frequent enough for concern.

As I am falling asleep, and I am usually very tired when this happens, I develop a strange discomfort at the back of my neck.  Then as I start to fall asleep, I feel as if I will pass out, or that my chest is heavy, and as this discomfort continues I wake myself up.  At times there is some palpitations associated with this, mid sternum pain, and muscle pain in my upper left chest, also there seems to be a fair amount of nausea.  I find that this feeling passes within several hours, but by then it is 3 or 4 in the morning, and I am getting a limited amount of sleep.  I know some might say this is anxiety related, but I would highly doubt that.

I guess I find this very strange, but also I used to be a very sound sleeper who is now a little leary of falling asleep.

I have had a chest x-ray,a chest CT scan, and a stress test - all of which showed nothing.

I have had an issue with GERD in the last year, but I find it hard to believe that GERD would cause this sleeping problem.  If you have any suggestions please let me know.  My GP has not been very helpful.

Thanks!
I have GERD and the symptoms you're describing in my own opinion do not sound like GERD related. GERD is an acid reflux disease in that stomach acids are pushed back up through the espophagus when lying in a prone position. Try putting extra pillows under your upper torso so that you're not lying completely flat in bed, in other words, elevate your head more as you sleep and see if it makes any difference. I lay my pillows the length of my body, (straight up and down for back support as opposed to the normal way across the head of the bed) I also find that lying on the left side when I'm sleeping helps because the stomach doesn't empty then and less chance that the acid falls back into the espohagus. If you look (you can google photos of the stomach) at the stomach and the way it's shaped and positioned it will all make more sense. If you would like help in finding some anatomical illustrations I can help you find those.
I've experienced this to the point of the acids choking me in my sleep and cutting off my air supply, I'll literally wake up choking and trying to get my breath back. This was what prompted me to seek the advice of a physician in 1992. I was placed on Prevacid and I take 30 mg. daily but when it's bad I have to add an antacid to it before bedtime. The other thing is to watch my dietary intake of caffeine, spicy foods and avoid eating after 7 pm, not even drinking a glass of milk. There is an acid in milk that can cause a rebound effect, or so I've been told.
I think you should discuss the symptoms that you are having with your primary care doctor and see what they suggest.

Best of luck
NaniKai
i too have been having the same symptoms and i do find that not eating later in the day helps a lot.  im really glad i could find this post because i have been experiancing this for 2 or three months now and i just finally fould someone that has had the same problems.  i thought i was going crazy for a while.  i also  though do not believe in taking any perscription drugs because they help with one area but they damage others as well so instead of pills like prevacid i take multi- enzyme formula pills about 30 minutes before i eat and they work great and are natural.  i also have been doing a canada cleanse and i have been feeling better then i was a month ago.  im not perfectly over all the symptoms but thats because i am 20 years old and there is food i don't want to have to give up yet at my age even though i know darn well what i am going to put up with later in the day.  but anyway i hope the best for you and ill be praying for you to fell better.

Reggie, 20/M/ MN,USA
Reggie I face booked the guy that posted this above. I'm 52 and what happens to me is severe heart checks right at the point of dosing off.I had one today at 4;30 pm sat april 6 and went to walk -in smokey point at 6:30pm and thaught I was having a heart attack. Chest pain didn't subside till 8:30pm . Read what I wrote to him. todds