Neurology Community
ADHD OR NEUROLOGICAL

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ADHD OR NEUROLOGICAL

WHEN MY DAUGHTERS HAND FALLS ASLEEP, SHE ASKS ME TO TOUCH IT TO FEEL IT TINGLE.  I TRIED TO EXPLAIN I CAN'T FEEL WHAT HER NERVES ARE DOING ON THE INSIDE.  SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND.   SHE IS ALMOST 11 YEARS OLD AND SHE HAS LEARNING DISABILITIES(COGNITIVE, SPEECH, READING, AND WRITING).  SHE'S BEEN DIAGOSED WITH ADHD AND ON MEDS SINCE SHE WAS 7.  MY QUESTION IS:  IS THIS RELATED TO HER ADHD AND LEARNING DISABILITIES OR IS THERE MORE GOING ON?

CONCERNED
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

I don’t think that anything is linked with any neurological disorder here since it could be a normal phenomenon of an ADHD child who reacts quite differently in such situation due to poor attention span. Your daughter with ADHD may have attention difficulty, hyperactivity and impulsivity. Therefore, by attention deficit she does not listen to what is said to her. In handling and managing your daughter just tries to be specific & clear in your instructions. In addition, if this persists please consult a child psychologist in order to understand appropriate treatment line. Hope this helps.