ALS - possible misdiagnosis?
Hi there - Please help!

My mother has been diagnosed with an atypical form of ALS. I have great concerns from the medical reports that she has been misdiagnosed. The illness has only affected her lower body. The specialists believe that she has now had this illness for the past 6 years. It all started with a slip disc, where she developed a foot drop. The doctor had sent her to have an operation. her condition then got significanly worse, experiencing muscle atrophy on the left leg. There is now also evidence of her experiencing a drop foot on the right leg as well. In the last few years (prior to diagnosis), there has always been an issue with her liver. She is also experiencing continuous sweats - not menopausal. I have been advised by a neurologist that the later two symptoms are not a condition of MND/ALS.

My mother is currently udnergoing natural remedies as she cannot handle Rilutek. I know that there has been much success with Ceftriaxone and there are Phase III medical trials being held in the US. Other medical evidence has been with Naltrexone. Again without a confirmed diagnosis, she is reluctant to undergo with any of these remedies. Although Ceftriaxone seems to be very promising!

I am also looking at finding a doctor that will send us to udnergo all necessary tests in determining if she has any form of virus. I am now in the process of trying to find a doctor that will take a genuine interest in this case and assist us in getting to the bottom of this diagnosis.  We have travelled globally to obtain second opinions. We are now considering going to the United States or Europe, as there is not much advancement made here in Australia.

Can you please advise on any possible other viruses/diseases that we should consider? Are there any medical institutions in the States that may be able to assist us?