Neurology Expert Forum
ALS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ALS

My husband was diagnosed with ALS in April 2010. Some people even his main doctor doesn't believe he has it. His symptoms are Atropy on both hands,His tongue, and muscle spasms. He walks around great, but does get winded. His breathing scores are getting worse, so my question is  could he possibly have MFM? At least theres some hope there.( oh and he slurs)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is impossible to say if your husband has one disease or another without the ability to examine and get a thorough history. The signs and symptoms you do provide are significant.  I would suggest that your husband follow up with a specialist in ALS to ensure that he doesn’t have another disease, such as cervical cord stenosis, Kennedy’s, etc.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.