ATROPHY
Can you please tell me what my MRI findings mean:  Moderate amount of cortical atrophy present.
I am a 41 yr old woman and my doctor is sending me to see a neurologist because of this MRI, what does this mean and what illnesses does it go with, will I soon end up sick?

Thank you,
Hello mich41

This only reflects that there have been some aging changes like premature atrophy. This can be dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Any other neurological deficient? Any memory loss? I suggest that consult a nneurologist to start with multi vitamins and anti oxidants to minimize and allay the neurological deficit.

Best
Hi, mich41,

I'm far from being an expert in this area, but since I have a similar founding in my CT, may be I'm able to share with you what I was told so far by some doctors. I also will go to see a neurologist next month.

I described my case in this forum (Amadeu). I'm 59 and get diffuse cortical atrophy. I was told by two doctors (non neurologists) that this is normal in my age. Therefore I believe that if I was subject to a CT at 41, I woul have find a moderate cortical atrophy as yous. So, hopefully, our cases are only due to normal ageing - anyway I will go to the neurologist and recommend you to do the same. Best wishes