Neurology Community
Abnormal EEG in 3yr old male
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Abnormal EEG in 3yr old male

I just recieved results of my son's EEG but I can't speak with the Peds Neurologist about it until July 12th at an appointment. My son's Peds doc is not too concerned but that doesn't make me feel any better. Here is a copy of the report. Should I be worried?

CLINICAL REASON FOR EEG REQUEST: This is a 3 3/12th-year-old who is said to have had a seizure without a fever, who was found in bed with his eyes open in the fetal position and was not responsive, grinding his teeth.  He became responsive after about 5 minutes.  He was incontinent and was off balance. Currently on no medications.                                          
                                                                 EEG is recorded with 10/20 system international electrode placement convention. There are 16 cerebral leads and 4 extra cerebral leads in place.  In the waking state, a poorly organized background is seen with 4 to 6 Hz rhythms    
noted in the occipital quadrants. There is a tendency for higher voltages in the right hemisphere compared to the left.  Multifocal spikes are seen as well as generalized high-voltage spike waves.  The latter are associated with deflections in the extra cerebral eye leads on both sides.  There are sometimes
brief runs of low-voltage spikes noted in the right mid-temporal area, at other times in the left parietal region.  Some of the high-voltage spikes were associated with sobbing but there is no indication that sobbing continued throughout the recording.  Photic stimulation added no new findings to the record.          

This is an abnormal waking EEG due to:                                      
1.Disorganized background.                                                
2.Multifocal sharp and spike waves.                                      
3.High-voltage generalized isolated spikes that were not always clearly associated with sobbing and thus not clearly artifact and;              
4.Fourthly, brief semirhythmic runs of sharp waves in the left parietal and right temporal region.                                                  
                                                                 This tracing could be consistent with lower voltage for seizures.  Clinical correlation is needed.