Neurology Expert Forum
Abnormality of optic nerve

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Abnormality of optic nerve

My husband had a CT scan of his sinuses, and an abnormality of the optic nerve showed up on the scan.  He then had an MRI. The report stated that he had a slight dilation of the dural sheath of the optic nerve.  This was not visible by the ophthalmologist on exam and he doesn't seem to have symptoms, except for the left eye feeling a little different than the right (sort of a pressure), but nothing that had concerned him.  

Of note, when he was 14, he was poked in the eye with an antenna.  It didn't go through his eye, but around it, and his eye was okay (he is 33 now).  Could this have something to do with it?  

Has anybody ever heard of this or anything similar to this? I have not been able to find anything on the Internet about this, and the ophthalmologist does not seem to know how or why this occurred.  Any information on this would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.

I am not certain what you mean by dilation. This could either mean a fluid space or a thickening of the sheath. Without viewing the films I could not be certain. However, a MRI of the brain with special cuts through the eye would be helpful. A contrasted study would also be helpful. I would recommend seeing a neuro-opthalmologist for completeness. I can not imagine how the antenna injury would have caused this. Good luck.
We have the CT scan on a CD.  If you would like to see what I am talking about regarding the dilation of the dural sheath of the optic nerve, I can try to send you a picture from it.  Let me know if you would like me to do that.  By the way, I believe the MRI was done with special cuts on the orbits.  Unfortunately though, we only have a CD of the CT scan.  Thanks.
A related discussion, baby with abnormal eye nerve was started.