Neurology Expert Forum
Achalasia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Achalasia
I was diagnosed with Achalasia about eight months ago.  Have you ever heard of a connection between Achalasia and other neurological disorders such as MS or ALS?
Dear Robert Martin:

We have seen patients with symtpoms that mimic ALS and achalasia but not as the primary manifestation.  Problems with swallowing and reflux are common with bulbar ALS, however, the symptoms of ALS are so prominent that diagnosis is not difficult.  Usually the life span with someone diagnosed with ALS of the bulbar type is about a year, so with not other symptoms you do not have ALS.  In addition, classic achalasia with pipe-like esophagus is usually not seen in ALS.  Some patients with MS have difficulty swallowing, but again not the classic picture of achalasia.  I would not think you have MS either.  Furthermore, this would not be a classical presentation of MS.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thanks so much for your quick response.  It was exactly what I was hoping to hear!
Dear Robert Martin:

you are welcome.

CCF Neuro MD