Neurology Community
Aching Hip Recall

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Aching Hip Recall

Is anyone here experienced an aching hips after an implanted hip replacement?

This discussion is related to Pain after Hip Replacement.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. The pain that is lingering despite hip replacement could be due to unexplained causes. Mid thigh, pain could be present in some with an uncemented hip replacement, which could be due to a mismatch between the rigidity of the implant and elasticity of the bone. The other post op complications include blood clots in the leg veins, infection unless a laminar flow operating room was used. The risk of the artificial joint being infected can remain after many years also via bacteria from a source elsewhere in the body. There can be loosening of prosthesis from the bone, wear of the plastic polyethylene socket, dislocation of the hip replacement, ectopic bone formation around the artificial hip can cause stiffness and pain. You need to get your hip reviewed by the treating orthopaedician immediately. Hope this helps. Take care.

I had both of my hips replaced in 2010, my right hip is not responding well to the prosthesis used Zimmer VerSys.  I have had several test taken to tell me that there is nothing showing to prove why I am having pain.  Complained to my Ortho Surgeron to be told, "It was nothing I have done".  I have been in constant pain for almost 2 years now, I have stiffness, movement in my hip, I can walk without my walker, which I have been placed back on, I can sit, sleep, due to chronic pain, I can feel movement in my hip and in my thigh I am feeling a sharp stabbing pain. I am so tired of Doctors making me feel as if I am making up the pain I can scream!.  I just want one Doctor to listen to me and not the test results.  
I had a THR 16 months ago and have had pain in the groin for most of the last 16 months, and now I am having a lot of pain in the area of the incision.  10 months ago I had an Iridium contrast MRI done to see if I have an infection, the results of which were negative.  I've had multiple rounds of PT with fairly good results after the last round, but again the pain has returned, this time with a lot more intensity.  I too have a Zimmer implant, a plastic on metal joint and a metal ball.  I can walk unimpaired, but have trouble reaching my toes, putting on shoes and doing anything that involves much spreading of my legs.  This is getting progressively worse and I'm not sure where to go from here.  I'm only 53.  I still need to have my other hip replaced, but after this first experience I would rather live with the pain than risk the results I had with the first THR.
i would like to add a comment of my own ,,i had a total hip replacement in 2005 ,all was fine until last yr ,i recieved a letter thru post that i need to go to hospital to have my hip checked out by the rheumatologist, so i went ,,and got a xray on it ,results ,everything fine but since then ,if i walk too far i get excruciating pain both in my hip and left leg going down to my foot,i have to keep in touch with my doctors ,due to my bloods being low at the moment because of dmards i was taking for my RA ,im on preds at moment along with plenty of pain killers ,,but i feel i dont want to keep bothering the docs by ringing for every touch and turn ,even tho im seriously in pain