Neurology Community
Acitrom and its interaction with other drugs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

One of my family members was diagnosed of venal thrombosis and underwent a brain surgery to have a clot in his brain removed. He is now on ACITROM (2mg). (2 mg for a couple of months after which he will be switched to 1mg).
I wanted to understand if he has to be cautious while using other drugs and what interaction Acitrom has with other drugs. He has been on Acitrom for a week now and has to use it for life.
Also, could you please provide me with any website that gives all possible information on Acitrom? I searched through Google but wasnt successful in finding the relevant information. I found this website...Your quick reply will be highly appreciated. I also want to be able to print all the relavant information from various sites for my relative to read through.

Thank you very much
Minnie
Hi, please check out these interactions:
The following drugs may potentiate the anticoagulant effect of Acitrom:
Allopurinol, anabolic steroids, androgens, antiarrhythmic agents (e.g. amiodarone, quinidine), antibiotics (e.g. erythromycin, tetracyclines, neomycin, chloramphenicol and amoxycillin), clofibric acid as well as derivatives and structural analogues of clofibric acid, disulfiram, ethacrynic acid, glucagon, cimetidine, imidazole derivatives (e.g. metronidazole and, even when administered locally, miconazole), sulfonamides including co-trimoxazole (sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim), sulphonylureas such as tolbutamide and chlorpropamide, thyroid hormones (incl. dextrothyroxine), sulfinpyrazone, simvastatin, and tamoxifen.

The following drugs alter haemostasis and may potentiate the anticoagulant activity of
Acitrom and thereby increasing the risk of gastrointestinal haemorrhage:

Heparin, platelet-aggregation inhibitors such as salicylic acid and its derivatives (e.g.
acetylsalicylic acid, para-aminosalicylic acid, diflunisal), phenylbutazone or other pyrazolone derivatives (sulfinpyrazone), and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Use of Acitrom together with these substances is therefore highly unadvisable. When Acitrom is prescribed in combination with these drugs, coagulation tests should be performed more frequently.

The following drugs may diminish the anticoagulant effect of Acitrom:
Aminoglutethimide, barbiturates, carbamazepine, cholestyramine,
griseofulvin, oral contraceptives, and rifampicin.

Other interactions
During concomitant treatment with hydantoin derivatives(phenytoin), the serum hydantoin concentration may rise. Acitrom may potentiate the hypoglycaemic effect of sulfonylurea derivatives. Since neither the severity nor the early signs of interactions can be predicted, patients taking Acitrom, especially if they also suffer from hepatic dysfunction, should limit their alcohol intake.

This interaction details are taken from http://www.health.gov.il/units/pharmacy/trufot/alonim/497.pdf

Thank you very much for your reply! I forgot to mention that he is also asthmatic and uses Asthma medicines everyday.

The medicines he uses on a daily basis include: Montelukast, Asthalin Inhaler (SOS), Budecort Inhaler (once a day)

Is there anything to be kept in mind here?
Thank you so much!
Minnie
Hi, Just wanted to confirm something here. The link you've provided in your first message: http://www.health.gov.il/units/pharmacy/trufot/alonim/497.pdf
gives me details of a product named: SINTROM. Is this the same as ACITROM?

Also awaiting your reply for my second message.

Thank you very much
Minnie
Hi, relax, both are same medicines, different brand names but salt is same i.e nicoumalone. This drug is anticoagulant. As far as interaction with salbutamol and montelukast is concerned, no documented evidence for any interaction is there.

Moreover when the drug is given in inhaler form, its quantity is in micrograms, too less to get absorbed systemically i.e come in blood from lungs and cause interaction with other drugs.
cause of thrombosis?
hai! acitrom tab is lifelong treatment or it can be stopped 1 year or?
my mother is heart patient(operated 2 times for blocked wall) and she is taking acitrom because about 3 years ago she got a clot in blood. she had start taking 3mg than doctor suggest 4mg after INR test. than again changed to 5mg and now its 6mg. My mothers INR is vary between 1 to 1.6. but her doctor told her that INR should be above 1.6 all the time. I do not know if he is right. And my main worry about this is 6mg too much and is there any side effect of this.
I am a patient of ulcerative collitis . I have recently been detected with thrombosis- DVT  in my legs and have been asked to take Acitrom. I also take the following medicines
1) Omez –30 mg  Once daily  empty stomach
2)      Methylcobal – 1000 ugOnce daily
3)      Sazo – 1 g thrice daily
4)      Azoran – 50 mg Once daily
5)      Prednislone – 15 mg once daily ( currently )
6)      Livogen – twice daily
7)      Shelcal – 500 mg twice daily
8)      Calcicrol granules – 60000 units once a week
9)      Ecosprin – 75 mgOnce daily
10)  Acitrom – 2 mg Once daily
11)  Losar 50 mg once daily

My current INR reading is in the range of 1 to 1.29( yesterday it dropped to 1 from the previous 1.29), my docs feel I should graduate to 1.5 and then gradulally move in the range of 2-3 . Please can you share data/ articles/sites which will explain me the relationship between the reading and doage . What are the harmfull affects of continuous taking of this medicine . what precautions i need to maintain and going forwrd  how frequently I need to get my blood test done

Dear Doctor,

what are the differences between ACITROM and WARFARIN ?

kindly explain.
as i was taking the tablets
could you please advise me on whether I can take theo asthalin or similar drugs, while I am taking Acitrom. I had  AVR surgery 1 year ago and I am asthmatic. My INR count does not remain constant. I am taking Acitrom 4mg or 5mg as per my doctor's advise. Please guide me on this issue.  
Yes, I am also searching the difference between acitrom and warf.3 years back i had been using acitrom for the DVT and it was working fine. Now i have visited a new doctor and he prescribed warf.

I would like to know the differences and impact on treating DVT.

Thank you very much,
Kiran
To my knowledge as per the advice of Doctors in CMC Vellore it is one and the same . Acitrom is from the same family of Warfarain.

One should get the dossage right and it takes some to establish the right dosage required . This will be done by regular testing of your blood counts
I have personally got fantastic results with this medication by following advice of CMC Vellore Gastro doctors