Neurology Community
Acute Cerebeller Ataxia (Cerebllitis)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Acute Cerebeller Ataxia (Cerebllitis)

When I read about AnxiousGurl's Mom (Feb 2008) I couldn't believe it!  My Mom is going through the same thing.  She was misdiagnosed with a stroke 6 months ago and her symptoms kept getting worse instead of better.  We got a 2nd opinion from a new neurologist that confirmed Cerebellitis (Acute Cerebellum Ataxia) by doing a spinal tap. Her symptoms started with neck and shoulder pain, nausea and vomiting.  Then, she had slurred speech, couldn't write, difficulty swallowing liquids, and her balance and depth perception was off.  After several months her symptoms became worse...all of the above as well as double vision and jerky movements in hands, arms and legs.   The Dr. said it is very rare in adults and that it is from a viral infection that affected the cerebellum and caused swelling in the cerebellum.  My concern is this:  She has been on high doses of steroids via IV in the hospital for 5 days.  Now, (3 weeks later) she is at a rehab hospital in the Medical center in Houston and they put her on predisone (60 mg) She is not getting any better.  Is it possible that it's not Cerebellitis, but something else? Is there any other course of treatment?  Will she ever get better?  She can't do anything by herself.  It is so frustrating as no one knows much about this.  Any advice would be much appreciated.