Neurology Expert Forum
Acute pain in back near right shoulder blade

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have recently been having acute pain in my back, between my spine and right shoulder blade. There was no trauma to the area. I can't move my arm in certain directions and can't move my shoulder up towards my ear. I get a horrible pain when I try... to the point where I almost can't move. At times, I also get pain radiating straight across my back and going down the back of my right arm. I also get a sensation in my right elbow like I hit my funny bone! What could this possibly be? Is it something I need to get checked?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Pain in the shoulder can be of many causes. Since it radiates and follows a particular nerve pattern, i.e., a dermatome, it may be a cervical nerve impingement. Other causes could be from a rotator cuff injury, capsulitis, or brachial plexus injury. The diagnosis would rely on the exact location of the pain and the examination. Other possibilities are arthritis of the glenohumeral, sternoclavicular, or acromioclavicular joints. This would be diagnosed by xray of the shoulder. Causes of the arthritis can be long standing repetitive motion. It can be treated conservatively with NSAIDs and physical therapy. Intra-articular cortisone injections maybe used to relieve the inflammation. If patients fail conservative treatment, surgery is an option.  

I recommend that you follow up with your PCP. You would benefit from a thorough examination identifying the source of the pain (shoulder, neck, arm, etc) and imaging such as an MRI of the neck.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.