Neurology Community
Adverse Reaction to Seasonal Flu Vaccine

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I recently had the standard, seasonal flu vaccine just over a month ago. Whilst the injection was being administered there was a strong stinging sensation followed by an intense pain in my deltoid muscle, whilst picking  my heavy bag up off the floor (same arm). I was told to wait 20 minutes out in the main waiting room.

That evening I experienced severe chills and aches for the following 48 hours. The aching in my upper arm remained, followed approximately three weeks ago by severe pain radiating from the flu shot down to my right forearm, outer elbow and hand. There has also been some minor numbness and pins and needle type sensations, especially noticed first thing in the morning. The pain becomes more intense during the day.  I have been to the emergency department twice (by my GP's referral).  I have been seen by a hand/arm plastic surgeon and two Neurologists, both came up with differing results.  The hand surgeon said it was definitely nerve related whilst the Neurologists said it was both muscle and musculoskeletal related and more than likely a result of the flu vaccine and then picking up my bag.  A sort of chain of events/ domino effect causing further pain.  I was prescribed some non steroidal anti-inflammatory tablets for a week, after earlier being prescribed codeine, which did nothing to alleviate the pain, it only made me feel drowsy with severe nausea. The non steroidal anti-inflammatory tablets did help take the edge off of the pain, although I was still aware of the discomfort.  I have since waited out the remainder of this week to see how things would go, however slowly but surely the intensity of the pain is returning.

What is wrong with my arm and will this pain be permanent?
This morning a lymph node under my right arm is slightly raised and painful.

I was not offered a scan even though I asked on three separate occasions.

Thank-you for your time,
NZer    
My vaccine was not given in the deltoid muscle as first thought, it was lower in the arm.
So it now appears that there could be some nerve damage after all and explains my pain and discomfort at this time.  I had a long sleeve top on at the time and the nurse just pushed it up and gave me the vaccine in a hurry.  How long does this type of damage take to heal?
You might want to read about what happened to me after some vaccines.

Copy and paste this into your browser address
http://diseasebyimmunization.blogspot.com/

Than click on the link at the top of the article and read what a doctor wrote about it
( Medical time Bomb )
Avatar n tn
Check out this link to the CDC in Atlanta, GA.  It discusses some of the possible adverse reaction associated with the seasonal flu vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/flushot.htm
I had the flu vaccine and also first developed a fever, then pins and needs and numbness, weakness in my limbs etc. I thought it was a really bad flu thaty seemed to be dragging on and on.  I was referred to a neurologist who organised an MRI.  I developed tranverse myelitis.
When are the health authorities going to stop pretending that flu vaccines are always safe for everybody, and stop protecting pharmaceutical companies.