Neurology Community
Advice about possible surgery on coradit artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My father (age 62) is currently in the hospital (May 8, 2007) after having one of the latest in the line of TIA's.  Over the past 3 or so years he has had a handful of them which have left his motor and mental abilities slightly slower than they used to be. I should also mention he has been diagnosed last year with Parkinsons Disease.  My question or advice I would like to ask relates to this recent stay in the hospital.  I would appreciate feedback from anyone that might have had a similar situation or know of someone that might have went through the same set of circumstances.  

As things stand now, my mother and I have learned that his left coradit artery is about 80% blocked.  He is also having numerous blockages throughout his basel ganglia.  He will be leaving the hospital tomorrow, and transfer to a rehab center for about a month.  The decision we are left with then after that month is for him to go in for surgery on the coradit artery.  We have been told by the doctors that if that is done it will prevent a stroke from taking place there.  On the other hand they have said that it probably wouldnt do any good for the basel ganglia.  That the surgery most likely wouldn't relieve any trouble there, and that a stroke could develop there at any time.  There is also a possibility that the coradit artery surgery could even cause a stroke in the process.

So that leaves us with the catch 22 as to what direction to take.  If anyone has had or knows of a situation like this your advice would be greatly appreciated.