Neurology Community
Advise required

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Advise required

I have this problem for a very long time, but now it seems effecting my career.

I am quite slow in thinking, words does not come out fluently- I need to plan and memorise what to talk. My mind always remains/goes blank, I am unable to articulate. When people ask a question I don't know what to say and I am slow in response or sometime just laugh and keep quite. Few people I know said I am boring person.

When my superior gives me a long instruction it does not register in my brain and I tend to forget very quickly within seconds.  I am not sharp in detecting errors or problem solving.

I always want to be alone because I can't speak to people like others. I can't communicate effectively and timely.

I always misunderstand what people say and give the wrong answer and sometime I don't know what I am doing. My memory is very bad.

Please advise is this relates to nerves problem or is there anyone I should see to check my brains are functioning normal like others.

My family background: My unty has epilepsy. Grand father had nerves problems.

Hi.

How old are you now? How long have you been experiencing your symptoms.

It is possible that you are experiencing mild cognitive impairment. It is usually regarded as a transition phase between normal aging cognitive changes and cognitive dysfunction associated with more severe neurocognitive disorders.

A diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment can be suggested in cases of memory deficiency, with or without language or speech disturbances, but usually normal perception, judgment, reasoning, and daily-life activities, and absence of dementia.

You should consult a neurologist to evaluate your cognitive status and to determine any underlying cause if present.

Good luck.
My age is 35 and i been having this since small.
Hi.

The age of presentation would make mild cognitive impairment less likely. However you do still need to be assessed.

You could probably go to a psychologist, aside from a neurologist, to perform a battery of neuropsychological and cognitive tests to determine your cognitive status.

Hope this helps.
Hi Nathan...  I do have the similar problem.  I am J. Gopinath, 39 years old now, living in Chennai. Have you had your cognitive test.  Did it help you anyway.  Pls. reply at ***@****.
Thank for the mail.

Yes I am going to have this test done and will let you know the progress. Have you been having the similar problem for a long time? I didn't bother until recently when I moved into more responsible job. I was unable to perform well i.e couldn't remember the task that I just completed, use to address people wrongly, uneffective communication, slow response, no real thought process, unable to solve problems or detect errors in my own work. I tried pretty dam hard to memorise words and the work that I have done but didn't work. When people ask questions on the sport I am not quick enough to answer- they feel I am not giving an honest opinion and cannot rely upon. Hope you can imagine how it is.

As a result I lost my job within 5 months. I am so depressed and I am quite serious to get this test done.

anand

Oh my, I have the same issues.  I have had the testing done and it took 6 hours.  At the beginning I was doing fairly well and then toward the end I was very frustrated.  I couldn't do the test without getting confused and mad at myself.  I have always been a very outgoing person and the laugh of the party.  But now I don't want to talk because I am afraid I will not say the right words, I talked too fast and no one understands, I forget anything with details.  I am 40 and healthy.  No diabetes, average weight, on no meds except for anti-depressants.  I also lost a job for not being to perform the task.  If I don't get this fixed I may loose another one.  I was told I had cognitive dysfunction.  I am seeing a nueropsychologist next week to re-train my brain.  Back in 2001, my husband had an affair which totally devastated me.  Also, in 1984 I fell off of a cheerleading prymid and landed on my head.  I am wondering if either of these caused the issues I am having now.  

Most of the time I don't have desire to do anything.  I sleep a lot and stay tired all of the time.  It is so noticable to my friends that know  me as the talkative person and now I won't even answer the phone.  I love this site.  I just found it yesterday and it has answered some questions and makes me feel better knowing I am not loosing it at 40.  

god bless,
gwynn
Hi.

Sad to hear about your problems Gwynn. There is a high chance that you are suffering from Depression. There is a decline in cognition in moderate to severe depression.

Cognitive testing is just one aspect of assessment. You can also get a Depression rating scale applied to you by a psychologist or a trained health care professional.

Are you taking any medicines?

In depression, some important neurochemical changes occur in the brain. You lose interest in the surroundings, the sleep is disturbed, there is hardly any motivation to do any work, sleep disturbances, etc.

The fall from the pyramid may have been insignificant as far as these symptoms are concerned. I guess the affair was the most disturbing event for you.

Regards