Neurology Community
After-effects of Meningioma Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

After-effects of Meningioma Surgery

In April of 2012, I was diagnosed with a large brain tumor (initially diagnosed as "pineal") and had an initial stereotactic craniotomy to relieve hydrocephalus caused by the tumor's pressing on the brain stem, restricting flow of spinal fluid.  3 weeks later, I had an 8 hour surgery to remove what turned out to be a large meningioma (benign.  )

I am now at 15 weeks post tumor surgery and many of the initial side effects have passed.  I am left with some light headedness, but mostly right side numbness and nerve irriation (feels painful and cold).  The numbness is odd in that I can feel touch but some areas are numb on the surface and all of them feel different from the left side.  I am right handed and have difficulty writing, typing, etc.  I am also weak and numb in my right leg and numb in areas including the wound area (that still throbs), my forehead, neck, right arm (the worst), hand, butt, knee, calf and parts of the foot.  The sensation gets worse at night.

I've been in physical and occupational therapy but show no increase in strength.  The right side (normally stronger) is markedly weaker than the left.  My insurance company is likely cutting off this benefit.

Can anyone comment or reassure me that these symptoms and their continued presence at 15 weeks is is par for the course and that I will still possibly improve?  I'm getting really worried that I will be "lame" and not be able to resume my old life.