Neurology Expert Forum
After wrist fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

After wrist fusion

I have worked 30yrs in the electronic industry.  Over the
years I have had 10 sugerys on my two arms.  
Right hand dominate and relative:
1969/70 Broken elbow ball removed (from small bone I believe)
full extension 170 degrees
1980: Carpel tunnel release (both hands)
1998: Ulnar nerve release (elbow)
2004:Aug Partial wrist fusion (spider)
         Ulnar nerve release (elbow)
         small knodule removed inside wrist
2004:DEC Spider plate removed

In 2004 I was diagnosed with Kienbocks and had a partial
wrist fusion.  My only symptom was pain, no numbness,weakness
or range of motion problems.  Following the sugery I had an
undiagnosed infection that kept my hand swollen for
approximately one month.  Then a screw came loose and the
spider was removed.  No wrist motion.  Prior to sugery my grip was45lb/sq" it is 20lb/sq" currently.  My biggest problem is
the numbness and cold sensitivity of the pinkie and ring finger.
The word numbness is misleading, it is very painful. Neither of
these fingers will bend at the last joint and I can not make a fist.  My Dr has told me I will have to live with this pain and that the strength will return if I exercise every 2 hrs.  I have done this for two weeks with no improvement. I have had 14 Rehab. sessions prior and was told I had platued. I am unable to do everyday tasks. Could I have perminate ulnar nerve damage? Scar tissue pressure? My Dr appears to have given up on me.I have
been on workers comp, since May of 2003.
Its not clear which hand you are referring to, the one with the previous ulnar surgery?

Your numbness is in the distribution of the ulnar nerve, and the inability to flex these digits is also consistent with an ulnar nerve problem. The site affected may be difficult to pinpoint (the ulnar nerve runs from the armpit to the hand), but is most commonly affected at the elbow or wrist. The type of injury (a complete nerve transection or just compression or lack of myelin) has an impact on whether it will recover. Fully transected nerves have the worst prognosis. If the injury is more than a year old, it is unlikely that further recovery is going to occur. An EMG/nerve conduction study may give an indication of the type of injury and site of injury (and therefore prognosis), but the ulnar nerve is notoriously hard to study electrically. Further surgery is unlikely to be of any benefit.

An EMG/nerve conduction study, and further rehab may be the way to go from here
Three months after wrist fusion i still suffer from a lot of pain when gripping tightly(when grip pressure is released)and playing golf.Pain is mainly between the base of my thumb running up my forearm(radius).The whole idea of this operation was a stronger and pain free wrist.I had partial wrist fusion before after a motorcoss accident.
A related discussion, After Wrist Fusion was started.
A related discussion, wrist fusion was started.