Neurology Community
Alcohol related neurologic pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Alcohol related neurologic pain

I have had leg weakness, numbness, muscle spasms, tingling, and pain for 2 months.  I noticed this followed a vacation that involved a lot of alcohol drinking.  I found an article about alcohol related neurologic pain.  The pain is getting worse, how do I stop it.  Of course this is very embarrassing.  I need help
My mom, many years ago, suffered the same problem, even ended up in the hospital. The dr's told her (at that time, I'm talking probbly 45 years ago) to never drink again. She stopped for about 2 years, and regained normal function. Then she started with "one" glass of wine at dinnertime. It progressed from there. She was an alcoholic, and gradually increased her drinking. She hid in it cupboards, closets, etc. When she died and I cleaned out her house, I probably found close to a hundred hidded empty bottles, or more. It was a very sad situation. She developed alzheimer's and died of complications. I'm not saying the alcohol caused all of her problems, but it certainley was a factor. Even in the nursing home, with no cognitive function left, she still was given one beer a day, as to totally withdraw would have been too hard on her. I am certainly NOT saying this could happen to you. Hopefully time will heal your nerves, please see a neurologist soon. Binge drinking is terribly hard on a persons body. Please don't mis-understand, I'm not being critical of you, just caring. We all do stuff we know we shouldn't. Just take care of yourself. Let us know how you are doing.
As a person very interested in people with alcohol problems I can honestly say that in spite of whether one thinks they have a problem with alcohol or not, it may be the leading cause of  physical problems. The problem with Alcohol and the "ism" associated with it is that most of the time the hold it has on people is unrecognizable to the individual afflicted. Even some folks who are very late stage alcoholics will not be able to recognize it's manifestation in their lives.
The first suggestion is do not take another drink of alcohol for the rest of today. And then apply that to the rest of your days. If there is no ism this will never be a problem. Do not take any narcotics for at least 6 months. I am not a Dr.,  but I do kinow about cross tolerance. I had a pharmicist tell me several years ago "take the water and sugar out of alcohol and what's left is ether. Ether is a scheduled narcotic!" If a person has issue with alcohol they will normally have issue with narcotics also. No sense in switching addictions. One may find that pain is annoying,and even nagging. But until all alcohol is completely out of the system it is difficult to truly measure/gage pain levels.
Good luck with your future