All tests normal still optic nerve swelling
My 2 year old was diagnosed by his opthamologist with swelling in his optic nerve.  We had an MRI which was normal, followed by an LP which was also normal (16) which was reduced to (12) and made no change in the swelling.  His eye sight is normal and he has no other symtoms.  We saw a neuro opthamologist who had no answers because his tests were normal.  We saw a neurologist who suggested that the swelling could be caused by his chronic ear and sinus infections; however his opthamologist disagreed and said they had never heard of that as a cause.  My son was born prematurely at 24 weeks and had lazer eye surgery as an infant to correct ROP.  We have had no lasting problems as a result of his prematurity and he is otherwise a healthy kid.  We had his adnoids removed because of the ear and sinus infections and have had no further problems in that area either.  I don't know where to look next.

Thanks for writing in.
Papilledema produces symptoms of raised intracranial pressure like headaches, nausea, vomiting and other neurological symptoms.
Does your child have any such symptoms?
Papilledema usually occurs due to tumors, abscess, hemorrhage, infections and hydrocephalus.
It is difficult to tell what is the exact cause of papilledema in your child’s case especially since there have been no positive findings on MRI. I would suggest you to seek a second opinion with an experienced neurologist.
Take care!