Neurology Community
Am I the only person in the world who has experienced such a problem?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

First of all, thank you for this great website! I think you have helped a lot of people with serious troubles.

About my health problem: 15 years ago I started to experience this pressure in my forehead. It is a pressure locally limited to a very small area. For 14 years, this area used to be in the center of my forehead, about 1 cm above my eyebrows. One year ago, this pressure area travelled 2 cm towards the left side.

It is not pain, but it is a very unpleasant, dizzy, foggy feeling. It is nearly impossible to think, or to do anything actively. When talking with people I feel like being beside myself. It is hard to control my reactions, not easy to live with this, nothing is enjoyable.

So far, my problem seems to be pretty common. But now I would like to tell you the fact about my problem, which seems to be unique: I do not have this pressure every day. It comes only under the following two conditions.

1) Noise wakes me up while sleeping. I use to sleep very lightly, with my earplugs I still can hear extremely low sounds or noise, it will wake me up immediately. After that, sometimes I am able to fall asleep again, other times I cannot. But anyway, this does not change one fact: I will get this pressure for the coming day.

2) This noise happens after having slept for about 3 or 4 hours. If a noise wakes me up during the first 3 hours of sleep, then I will not get the pressure, and I will feel OK the next day.

The following are the characteristics of my problem:

1) If a noise wakes me up after having slept 3 or 4 hours, then I will have this pressure on the next day, this is 100% sure. A slight noise of 1 second duration is enough to wake me up and to produce the pressure.

2) If there is no noise while sleeping, then I will not have this pressure on the next day. This is also 100% sure.

3) This pressure comes always exactly for one day, also this is 100% sure. The next night I get a new chance. To be precise, the pressure is hardly there during the first hour after waking up. Then it comes gradually, about 3 hours after waking up it is fully developed, and then it will remain more or less on the same level until I go to sleep in the evening.

4) On my days without having the pressure, I feel 100% OK, I usually even feel extremely well, 100% energy, 100% motivation to do things, 100% clear and light feeling in my head, every action, every conversation is a great enjoyment, I control my reactions 100%. So everything depends on one noise during the night.

5) Since 6 years, every morning at 4:30 AM my alarm clock wakes me up. This is the only noise which does not produce the pressure area.

6) The longer I have slept already when the noise wakes me up, the more severe this dizzy, foggy feeling will be.

7) This pressure area travelled about 2 cm last year. About at that time, I had acupuncture. Maybe this was the cause for the displacement, I am not sure.

All the doctors do not have any idea what the problem is. One doctor said I should just look for a quiet apartment. And this is what I have been doing for many years, moving from one apartment to the other. But everywhere there has been some slight noise during the night. I have been trying all kinds of earplugs, plus headphones, white noise, other artificial noises during the night. I have tried several times to reduce my sleeping time to a minimum of about 6 hours… but nothing has helped.

Could my problem be related to hormones?

I am not a specialist in this field, but after all my internet researches I have developed my own theory. When a noise wakes me up, then my body will send adrenaline and other arousing hormones to my brain. And here it seems to mix up with Melatonin. If it is mixed up with a lot of Melatonin, then my foggy feeling will be severe. But this theory, in the case that it is true, still does not explain why I have this dizzy foggy feeling, and it has not helped me to find a solution to the problem…

Other facts with possible interference:

My foggy forehead problem started in 1996. In that year, I had a ruptured appendix, and an eye operation. Then for the coming two years, I experienced continuous pain in my jaw and teeth. This pain has disappeared, but the foggy forehead problem has still not disappeared.

Could this pain and the operations be related to my current foggy forehead problem? I do not know. The jaw pain used to be very different from my current problem. It was real pain, had nothing to do with a foggy or dizzy feeling, and it used to be there every day, without any connection to noise during the night.

I also would like to mention that I cannot eat or drink any sweet things during the day and especially in the evening. If I do so, then my heart will start to beat very fast, I will wake up after about 4 hours of sleep, and then it is nearly impossible to fall asleep again.

My problem is the combination of the noise while sleeping and the dizzy foggy feeling on the next day. I have been researching on the internet for years, but I have not found any information about this problem. And I have never heard or read about anybody in the world who has this problem. Am I really the only person out of 7 billion people who has got such a problem?

I would be extremely grateful for a small hint which one day might release me from this problem.

Thank you very much!

Baminofambo

Tags: noise, dizzy, head, forehead, fog, wake up, wakes up, wakes me up, sleep lightly, sound, slight noise, foggy forehead if noise wakes, limited to small area forehead, pressure in forehead, pressure, sleep, lightly, one day, for one day, he, Foggy, Headache
Two things come to mind.  Your eye operation may have bothered one of the nerves in your face/head and has contributed to your situation.  Or you have clogged up sinus cavities/ears that needs clearing up.  For either of these cases, you should visit an ear nose throat ENT doc, tell him about the operation, the noise with no source waking you up.  He'll have a look-see in your ears and nose, uses special scopes that magnify everything, he'll do a culture and perhaps bloodwork to see if you have an infection, and from there he'll figure out if it's anything to do with your ears/sinus cavities.

But let us say he finds nothing.  Then next step is to see a neurologist, tell him about the eye operation, and describe how the nerve problem seems to be in your face and jaw and is affecting your hearing.  He will probably order a scan to see if one of the groups of nerves in your face is malfunctioning, and he can offer treatment to make all this stop.  Hope this helps.
Even a mild deficiency of magnesium causes increased sensitivity to noise.   You may benefit from increasing magnesium in the diet or supplementing.

Light sleepers do not produce as many noise blocking sleep spindles in the thalamus as heavy sleepers.  Spindles have been linked with the ability to remember new information as well.

How to increase sleep spindles:

Sleep in a dark room - darkness chemically produces spindles.

Sleep in a cool room - low to mid 60F (15C) makes more brain spindles.

Exercise 8 - 12 hours before sleep.

Small snack before bed to get blood flow to the digestive tract.

According to a 2002 German study, subjects who spent time before sleep in a learning activity had more spindles, especially early in their sleep cycle, than those who had spent the previous minutes vegetating.

Sleeping pills do increase spindles, but they may interfere with other beneficial sleep stages. Spindles are best produced naturally.
ggreg and Red_Star,

Thank you very much for your kind reply, and for your professional and useful advices!

Your comments have helped me a lot!

ggreg you were right, my sinus cavity really needed to be cleansed. I did it by extracting 11 teeth, and then doing a jaw cavitation cleansing using the laser technique.

Later I found out what seems to be the main cause of all my symptoms: the amalgam fillings!

I had all my amalgam fillings removed last month and I feel a lot better now!

Red_Star I like the tip for the magnesium. I think I will try to take magnesium supplement.

After all my research I have done during the last 2 months, I am pretty sure now that problems with the teeth, such as root canal treated teeth, metal in the mouth, and especially amalgam fillings, are the cause for more than 50% of all chronic deseases in the world. But most people, and most doctors, are not aware of it. There seems to be a tremendous lack of information.  

Now I know why all my symptoms started 15 years ago. At that time I had an amalgam removal without protection measures. This also was the cause for my ruptured apendix.

Everybody in the world should know how dangerous amalgam fillings are! What do you think about it?

Many regards, and all the best to you!!
Baminofambo

I've heard of the fillings concerns and I generally do NOT agree it is at fault with, as you say, half all chronic diseases in the world.  Some mercury may release from the tiny filling over a long period of time, but many studies show it is not at a toxic level.  It remains a controversial subject.  But i do think your sinuses were indeed what led you to post here in the first place, along with the idea of the magnesium deficiency pointed out by the other poster.

The main thing is, you feel better now, and for that I am glad.  By the way, my parents both have those types of fillings and they are in their 80s and in better health than I am.  I have no teeth, but I was in a car accident that disabled me, and I am one of those people who think cars accidents are more likely to bring a person down than just about anything else... for example, in a single year, more people die from car wrecks than were killed in the entire Vietnam War.