Amantadine and TBI
Has anybody out there experienced a dramatic effect after being prescribed Amantadine for TBI? After a clipping of PCOM aneursym I became increasing fatigued and apathetic- to the point of being close to non-functional. Testing showed I now have a verbal learning deficit, but my MRI is normal. A neurologist decided to treat it as TBI and prescribed the Amantadine. He said it might improve my memory, but what actually happened was a huge change in perception and the disappearance of the fatigue.  I felt a "wave" go through my head the first dose follwed by a odd perceptual change. By the second dose I suddenly felt everything around me was "real" again. My  neurologist was surprised when I described my reaction to the medication. I know Amantadine can effect dopamine levels, but little else about it's use in TBI.  Was my reaction that unusual? Do low dopamine levels normal cause the symptoms I had?    
I suffered 27 years following a tbi. With normal MRI and CT and no seizure I was told my symptoms were CONVERSION DISORDER. I KNEW this was not psychological in any way. BUT the more I tried to get help ;the more the doctors were convinced I as malingering, faking,  delusional or worst.

IT HAS BEEN the most difficult life barely able to take care of myself and only suicide made sense. Having attempted and failed the substitute psychiatrist (it was a holiday) thought I walked similar to Parkinson's  and gave me amantadine... My life was literally saved. Not only did the stress in my body and wrenching headaches disappear, normal movement returned and so did a multitude of cognitive processing. I now also take a very small does of methylphenidate for the fatigue that remained. I have praising this since 2008 but researchers are slim to listen.

ALL MD's Stop diagnosing persons with severe movement, cognitive, emotional  symptoms with history of TBI as psychiatric. Psych meds ONLY and completely debilitate what's left to use. The ill informed neurologist and psychiatric establishment are Killing people with their ignorance. Octacosanol also helps improve reading and improved memory that lead to getting lost. But Solgar stopped making this and policosanol is not as good.