Ambien, GABA and Dystonia
I was diagnosed with Focal Dystonia in my wrist a few months ago. Since then it has become multifocal, affecting both feet and hands.

I was prescribed with Trihexyphenidyl which wasn't working very well so I quit taking it.

But, a week ago, I was prescribed to Ambien. After I took it I noticed that my dystonia disappeared shortly after. I tested this again by taking half a pill during the day and my dystonia disappeared again. Same thing the next day.

Is this suprising?

Since Ambien is having such a positive effect on my dystonia maybe someone could suggest another drug that affects GABA like Ambien?

Thanks.
I have Dystonia also and was prescribed Ambien. I feel great in the morning when I wake up. I  dissapeares after an hour or so and goes back to the spasms. I too wish they could copy a drug to take during the day. I tried 1/2 pill during the day but slept  5 hours.
My husband has focal dystonia in his back.  In addition to botox injections he has taken Tizanidine (Zanaflex) and Baclofen (?brand name).  He can't take Ambien, he has sleep apnea.  

Here's info from rxlist.com on Zanaflex and Baclofen:
Baclofen is capable of inhibiting both monosynaptic and polysynaptic reflexes at the spinal level, possibly by hyperpolarization of afferent terminals, although actions at supraspinal sites may also occur and contribute to its clinical effect. Although baclofen is an analog of the putative inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), there is no conclusive evidence that actions on GABA systems are involved in the production of its clinical effects.

Zanaflex® (tizanidine hydrochloride) is a centrally acting α2-adrenergic agonist. Tizanidine is an agonist at α2-adrenergic receptor sites and presumably reduces spasticity by increasing presynaptic inhibition of motor neurons. In animal models, tizanidine has no direct effect on skeletal muscle fibers or the neuromuscular junction, and no major effect on monosynaptic spinal reflexes. The effects of tizanidine are greatest on polysynaptic pathways The overall effect of these actions is thought to reduce facilitation of spinal motor neurons

Good luck.  We're still looking for the right combination of drugs and therapy!